Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's been quite the day. The restrictions start at midnight tomorrow - we've rebooked our ferry to arrive at 11pm. We MAY make it by the skin of our teeth! LOTS to do in our household tonight! Wish us luck!
Hope you have allowed for the time difference ! Good luck !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good Luck.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We are currently in my very favorite place in the world, Annecy as we had a spare day/night. It’s like a little Christmas miracle being here!

Attachments

• 22CBDD86-08F7-4EBF-B3E4-6F1A0EAE2E9A.jpeg
    22CBDD86-08F7-4EBF-B3E4-6F1A0EAE2E9A.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 6

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Just got back from a weekend in Cork. Today all bars, restaurants etc must close by 8pm, and that'll be going on for the foreseeable. I have clients who were off to France after Christmas...

Chislenko

Veteran
Just had an email from Brittany Ferries. They will not be cancelling any ferries to France despite the stance of the French government to not allow UK citizens entry.

The reason they give is they still need to service the freight side of the sailings.

Having used these Brittany ferry routes to the North West of France they are circa 95% holiday travellers and 5% freight.

It is my reading of the email that if they cancel the sailings they will have to refund the customers, if they sail with virtually empty ships they won't have to refund the customers who can't travel and as a extra bargain they save on all the cabin cleaning as they won't have been used.

I know there is no ideal outcome or win win for all parties but I can't help but think the company could have looked at the customers with a bit more empathy.

Julia9054

Guru
Just had an email from Brittany Ferries. They will not be cancelling any ferries to France despite the stance of the French government to not allow UK citizens entry.

The reason they give is they still need to service the freight side of the sailings.

Having used these Brittany ferry routes to the North West of France they are circa 95% holiday travellers and 5% freight.

It is my reading of the email that if they cancel the sailings they will have to refund the customers, if they sail with virtually empty ships they won't have to refund the customers who can't travel and as a extra bargain they save on all the cabin cleaning as they won't have been used.

I know there is no ideal outcome or win win for all parties but I can't help but think the company could have looked at the customers with a bit more empathy.
I’m amazed any holiday maker is booking anything without a decent cancellation policy at the moment. I got bitten in 2020. Won’t be getting caught again.

Chislenko

Veteran
I’m amazed any holiday maker is booking anything without a decent cancellation policy at the moment. I got bitten in 2020. Won’t be getting caught again.

Know what you are saying Julia but obviously this was brought in by the French at very short notice so even if you have paid extra for the "flexible" fares they may not be within the time frame, and even then they only give you 50% back so still a bit of a sting.

Know what you are saying Julia but obviously this was brought in by the French at very short notice so even if you have paid extra for the "flexible" fares they may not be within the time frame, and even then they only give you 50% back so still a bit of a sting.
It not just the action of the French. The overall climate of uncertainty. No one should be surprised if things don't go their way in these 2 years. Once infection suddenly spikes, no govt is going to give grace periods to act.

Chislenko

Veteran
It not just the action of the French. The overall climate of uncertainty. No one should be surprised if things don't go their way in these 2 years. Once infection suddenly spikes, no govt is going to give grace periods to act.

Yes, fully take on board what you are saying. However not everyone going is a holidaymaker. We have booked a ferry late March as we have not been to our holiday home for two years and have a lot of stuff to sort out, legal, Portuguese bureaucracy, quite apart from what state the place is in, damp, things not operational through lack of use. Certainly our gas has been cut off due to zero bills for such a long period.

We have had to bite the bullet and book and hope against hope that things improve. Fortunately we have booked via Bilbao so will avoid France, just hope the Spanish don't impose a ban by then.

Believe me if it wasn't absolutely necessary for us to go we wouldn't be.

N.B. We are going by car so that we can bring all our personal stuff back (including my bike!!) so that we can put the place on the market, a decision based more on Brexit than Covid.

• Sad
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom