Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I hardly ever have a say in holidays abroad. My two stepdaughters tend to decide where they want to go and then ask us if we want to join them which puts pressure on me as my wife doesn't know how to say no to them.
I would be quite happy to just go France where there are so many nice places to see and good food but they always favour the Greek islands which involves hours on a plane. :sad:
I am not a beach person either and the idea of spending most of the day being bored on the sand doesn't do it for me either. We shall see.

Gunk

Guru
This weekend I’ve just arranged to borrow our friends house in the Dordogne again for next August.

It’s in small rural complex of just five houses with a shared tennis court and pool, so perfect for a peaceful week away.

We will also book a week in June in Dartmouth

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No plans other than UK. Can't be bothered with hassle.
i only do the uk , with mini cks autism a plane trip would be a nightmare and with the other health issues if somehting went wrong then i can imagine the nightmare let alone getting insurance for a chronic disease .Add to that special dietary needs, ohh and mrs ck health issues arrgh !

Any-road we have got a week booked on the east coast next year for close to half the price thanks to hoseasons deal in a 3 bed maisonette compared to a 2 bed caravan in devon this year .

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
Must admit I was whiling away an hour or two the other day and was looking at the Trans Canada Railway, Toronto to Vancouver.

Looks a nice trip. Have family on Vancouver Island but the 12 hour flight with my DVT issues looks a bit long, a little less at just shy of 8 hours to Toronto then make the train journey part of the holiday (takes four days)

Not cheap but you probably only ever do it once.

I'm off on a short holiday to Harrogate on Wednesday next, five nights booked in a b & b, tickets for 2 days of the Knitting and Stitching show and several workshops booked to learn new crafts, and depending on the weather trips planned to Fountains Abbey lit up, Harlow Carr RHS gardens and Knaresborough. And a stop off at Betty's of course! I was planning on taking the bike (Northern Rail all the way, so no issues) but the weather is so unreliable at this time of year, and the days so short, that I don't think I will.
But this afternoon I was looking at trains to the Sud-Tirol ... and wondering if next year might be OK for travel.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm off on a short holiday to Harrogate on Wednesday next, five nights booked in a b & b, tickets for 2 days of the Knitting and Stitching show and several workshops booked to learn new crafts, and depending on the weather trips planned to Fountains Abbey lit up, Harlow Carr RHS gardens and Knaresborough. And a stop off at Betty's of course! I was planning on taking the bike (Northern Rail all the way, so no issues) but the weather is so unreliable at this time of year, and the days so short, that I don't think I will.
But this afternoon I was looking at trains to the Sud-Tirol ... and wondering if next year might be OK for travel.
I'm wary of any travel plans now. Things change so quickly overnight. We have year-old vouchers for a villa in Greece and another for Eurostar to Avignon. ( Don't mention the delayed tickets to The Stranglers Final Concert in Brixton from 2019). We have given up on foreign travel for the moment and go for short stays at remote places in England and Wales. It's a lovely place to sit out the pandemic.

I'm wary of any travel plans now. Things change so quickly overnight. We have year-old vouchers for a villa in Greece and another for Eurostar to Avignon. ( Don't mention the delayed tickets to The Stranglers Final Concert in Brixton from 2019). We have given up on foreign travel for the moment and go for short stays at remote places in England and Wales. It's a lovely place to sit out the pandemic.

Oh, I shan't make things like bookings.
Hardly ever have done anyway.
But I'll plan in advance to the extent that should 'things' look OK one day in, say, May or September next year, I can buy a ticket and set off at almost no notice. But the chances are that - given C-19 - any holiday I do have will be somewhere rather closer to my present home ... :sad:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Hopefully things are looking up for next year. Walking in La Gomera late spring, diving in the Red Sea early summer, (both of which were rolled over from the outbreak of plague) and walking/sightseeing Mull in autumn.
Now need to sort out a ruby wedding anniversary destination.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've a colleague that's insisting she needs to go on a conference in Spain (Erasmus grant). Our business travel insurance specifically excludes any covid delays, so she'll have to arrange additional cover (which she can claim back) - all too much messing. And with some countries going into lock downs of sorts at quick notice.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Since I live on Mull which has become a thoroughly unpleasant place in tourist season I would go anywhere I could use my trike and even park my car.
I have not been on my favourite routes since last winter but overseas is also now very doubtful due to health issues.

grldtnr

Since I live on Mull which has become a thoroughly unpleasant place in tourist season I would go anywhere I could use my trike and even park my car.
I have not been on my favourite routes since last winter but overseas is also now very doubtful due to health issues.

grldtnr

Always fancied that. Pleasant easy cycling.
Ohh
And nice beer
And nice waffles
I was thinking of sunning myself in South of France , Northern Spain ,or even the Balearics, Tenerife another thought,.hire a bikes out for few days as I want, spend a month away, travel by rail ,all part of the journey.
A kind of workable plan for later in the year, is a cycling trip to the Czech Republic, I went there , just after the velvet Revolution,and the fall of the Berlin wall, flew into Vienna ,then rode to Prague, it really was a wonderful trip.
This time, I am seriously thinking ferry to Hook of Holland, ride to Rotterdam, then a night sleeper rail service to Prague, I dislike air travel, especially with a bike, it's just to much hassle.
But of course, it all depends on the Lurgy, which will run its course for another year or 2 ,before travel restrictions are lifted ,in my opinion.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to love cycling in south of France but the traffic got horrendous and we decided "enough was enough".

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Have booked us a week on a Greek island in July, so hope that comes off, otherwise its long weekends in the UK, incl a cycling one in the Cotswolds and a couple of tentative ski weekend plans, have one set of flights rolled over from last year, the other just date in the diary to go if "things" allow.

I have an urge to cycle the Caledonian way or Lochs and Glens way, that will need to be scratched in the next year or two.

Top Bottom