Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Amendment:

I read today on Brittany Ferries website that they will in fact be refunding any passengers affected by the sudden imposition of the travel ban to France.

As I was quite cynical about their motives in my previous post I feel it only fair to hi-lite this positive position from them.

"Although we are yet to receive official notification of how long any restrictions may be in place, we understand the changes to travel requirements will begin Saturday 18th December for two weeks (but this will be subject to change), we’re planning to support affected passengers through this short-term arrangement with the following:
  • We’re going to remove amendment fees for impacted sailings for all tickets
  • We’ll refund (by method of payment) impacted sailings for those wishing to cancel (simply email refund@brittanyferries.com)"

Reactions: mjr

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm going nowhere until this is close to over, it's not worth the stress and risk.

grldtnr

I concur, there is ,too many if's & bits, just too many hoops ,and fences to jump, i' m nobtrained circus performing bear!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Tell you something….it’s risky and stressful and I may well regret this trip next week (I recognise that fully) but my word, the sunshine and mountains and sense of lightness that the French Alps have given us have filled my soul with joy.

I’d risk it again!

Julia9054

Guru
:eek: I'm sure there must be laws against nobtraining a bear, let alone making it perform in a circus.

Anyone like to place bets on how much travel across Europe will be possible in March? September? Those are two I'm contemplating.
Also end of May plus July/August. Asking for. . . me!

grldtnr

:eek: I'm sure there must be laws against nobtraining a bear, let alone making it perform in a circus.

Anyone like to place bets on how much travel across Europe will be possible in March? September? Those are two I'm contemplating.
Slip of the finger, who'd ever want to nobtrain a bear !
What meant I was no trained bear, and yes they were trained to do unatural things, like ride bicycles.......come to think of it......that's what this forum is all about.?

Chislenko

Veteran

We just have to keep everything crossed that this strain isn't as bad as first thought and of course that another strain doesn't rear it's ugly face!

I suppose there has to come a "tipping point" where the world as a whole just has to "learn to live with covid" as we have done with flu etc.

Let's hope it's by March 😀

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suppose there has to come a "tipping point" where the world as a whole just has to "learn to live with covid" as we have done with flu etc.
We have still not "learned to live with" flu. We've learned how to fight it (with annual vaccines to protect the most vulnerable, and treatments to reduce how many die) and the nastier ones seemed to mutate out of extreme deadliness (such as the 1918 A/H1N1 after 1920, and the 1957 A/H2N2 after 1970). We never surrendered in the way some suggest we should with covid. More on this in the main Coronavirus outbreak thread https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/coronavirus-outbreak.256913/

Any "tipping point" for travel is likely to be when fight tactics are found and used by enough people to keep reproduction rates below 100% in most places most of the time. Edit to add: Will that be next year? I feel it depends if people learn from this year or repeat the same mistakes. No sign of learning near me but who wants to come to Norfolk anyway? ;)

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Well...we're back. Just waiting for the result of our PCR test which we got on the way home from Dover today.

Travelling to France was LOADS of faff. So many forms to fill in, so many expensive tests, so much documentation. Not worth it for a weekend but my word, it was amazing to be in France again after so long. I may yet be proved wrong (eek) but I felt safer from Covid in the Alps than in the UK and the whole trip lifted my spirits in a way I didn't know I needed. Definitely planning a summer trip on bikes, although clearly that depends on many things yet.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I had a chat with the wife about holidays last night.
We are going to try for an overseas holiday this year but won’t book anything yet.
We’ve done UK holidays for the last 2 years and booked early to get a decent place at a decent price but we’re not going to do that this year as I suspect the European markets will open up in the Spring.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve booked a week in Croatia end May. I’m going with my long standing travel buddy who lost his husband to a brain tumour last May. We both need a break in the sun not too far away :smile:

gbb

Legendary Member
After cancelling Turkey some months ago, we suddenly decided we have to do something...so back to a family favourite, Weymouth for a week, static caravan...over £1000, silly money but that seems to be the going rate so what the heck.
Also got one big enough to take two grandkids (8 and 5). Their mum and dad struggle financially so these two are unlikely to get a good holiday for the foreseeable, looking forward to recreating family holidays when ours were kids, we had many really good memories of Weymouth. Their (the grandkids) dad is gutted, he used to love fishing off the harbour wall as a kid, we would leave him there, give him dinner money, he'd fish all day, make friends, we'd cook some mackerel he caught most evenings.
Grandkids are full of questions, theyre really up for it :hyper:

We havnt had a proper holiday for two years (always went abroad)...enough, time to spend, enjoy life and get out there.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I had a chat with the wife about holidays last night.
We are going to try for an overseas holiday this year but won’t book anything yet.
We’ve done UK holidays for the last 2 years and booked early to get a decent place at a decent price but we’re not going to do that this year as I suspect the European markets will open up in the Spring.
Well we got itchy fingers and booked 11 nights in Turkey.
I haven’t been abroad since 2019 so we have something to look forward to.

Julia9054

Guru
Had a go at getting a refund on the voucher I accepted (thinking the bloody covid thing would be all over in a few weeks!!) from Direct Ferries. No chance unfortunately. Really hope it’s possible to spend it this year.

Top Bottom