Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Got Welsh Wales for two weeks at Easter, thats a different country. They might have relaxed covid rules by then. :wacko:
Our covid rules have been relaxed……..

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’m going to Turkey, the hotel caters for Brits as well as Russians, Poles and Ukrainians.
It could be extremely uncomfortable.
If Russia get kicked out of swift I presume they won’t even be able to pay for their holiday.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Favoured option at the moment is drive to Portsmouth with bike in car, park up car, take bike on ferry to Ouistreham, train to Nevers, cycle Loire a Velo route to Nantes, train to St Malo, ferry to Portsmouth, drive home... But I have already done that, in opposite direction, a few years ago.

Looked at a fly drive to Seattle, crossing the border to visit friends in deepest British Columbia for a few days, but... flights £700, then car hire for 2 weeks, £1100 😵😵 . Apparently car hire is expensive as hire companies sold off most of their cars when covid took hold, and now due to shortage of new cars they cannot replace them! So have ruled that one out. Hotels on top of other costs obviously.

Another option which looks good and surprisingly inexpensive is fly to Tokyo for 2 weeks and get a room in an Ibis hotel, or similar. I was in Japan a couple of times in my sea dog days and would love to go back. Significant birthday looming, so now might be the time...

Chislenko

Veteran
Favoured option at the moment is drive to Portsmouth with bike in car, park up car, take bike on ferry to Ouistreham, train to Nevers, cycle Loire a Velo route to Nantes, train to St Malo, ferry to Portsmouth, drive home... But I have already done that, in opposite direction, a few years ago.

Looked at a fly drive to Seattle, crossing the border to visit friends in deepest British Columbia for a few days, but... flights £700, then car hire for 2 weeks, £1100 😵😵 . Apparently car hire is expensive as hire companies sold off most of their cars when covid took hold, and now due to shortage of new cars they cannot replace them! So have ruled that one out. Hotels on top of other costs obviously.

We got a right grilling at that border crossing some years back as I was driving a Canadian reg car that wasn't a hire car (my sister lives in Canada so she had lent us their spare truck)

In the end the Canadian Border Guard ended up ringing my sister to confirm our story! Think we were there about an hour.

Obviously if visiting Seattle the Space Needle and Fish Market are two must visits.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having not been overseas for the past two years, apart from two race trips to Ireland last year for my son, I've booked two holidays outside the UK today :blink:
  • Lanzarote in April for a few days, leaving son no. 2 behind
  • France in July/August for a fortnight, leaving son no. 1 behind and co-inciding with a UCI race for son no. 2 nearby-ish.
Passports, GHIC cards, UK sticker and some forrin language stuff to be re-learnt.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Long Easter weekend at Tushielaw Inn that the cycling boys and I stayed in on LEJOG last year. Middle of nowhere, we've booked all the rooms (there are only three), homely food. Should be great

A week with said cycling boys in Girona in May. Booked a rather swanky airbnb

Went to La Gomera in Canaries last November and enjoyed it so much, doing the same again. Peaceful, undeveloped, authentic

Long weekend Windermere in August, airbnb again

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ferry to Spain and ten days in the Picos de Europa. And yes, of course I'm taking a bike :biggrin:

Alex321

Veteran
A week with said cycling boys in Girona in May. Booked a rather swanky airbnb
GCN+ did one of their "Cycling Heartlands" series about Girona recently, if you are a member.

I've only been there once, and only for a few hours (without bike), while on a trip to Barcelona.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Just back (last night) from a ten day stay in Gran Canaria.

We love it there and I (desperately) needed some sunshine on my aching bones so we chanced it and went.

Of course, when we booked it several weeks ago, the threat of a Russian invasion of Ukraine wasn't on anyone's agenda so it was with some trepidation we went just days after they actually did the deed and wild speculation was flying everywhere.

It's been over two years since we last went abroad (same place actually) and although things were pretty much the same, there were some significant differences. Masks had to be worn everywhere even on the plane going but not coming back. Shops, hotels, bars, masks unless sitting down.

I hired a bike from the ever reliable Free Motion whose services I've used for nine consecutive visits to GC now. BUT, they were busier than ever so I had to compromise on the bike AND the amount of time I could have it! I wanted the Super 6 but had to settle for a Tarmac SL7 and despite being there for ten days, I could have it only for seven.

The roads were packed with cyclists and one particular ride - up the big, steep hill (in the baking heat) to the hilltop village of Soria - was like being in a competitive Sportive or something, there were so many other riders headed for the top. This made the descent treacherous because there were riders shortening the bends on the way up and hiding on the wrong side of the road for any riders coming down at speed.

So all in all it was a great holiday and I asked in the shop why it had been so busy. Was it because of the lifting of restrictions? No, it was just their peak season! And she had a point because we've never been so early in the year. When was best to come back? "The summer months or April." That's when they're at their quietest so naturally, we're looking to go back in September.

That passenger locator thing? Loadashite. Despite hours booking it online at the Government's requirement, we were only told it wouldn't be needed at all at the passport desk on the way back! And masks are still worn everywhere in Spain so they are mandatory on any of the Channel Islands. We had to wear masks on the plane on the way out but as soon as we saw the stewardesses were bare-faced on the way back, we knew we didn't have to bother on the homeward flight.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm hoping I can finally do a few cycletours this year, but I'm not holding my breath. It wouldn't surprise me if the Llangollen canal exploded or Russia invaded the Vennbahn...

Chislenko

Veteran
I'm hoping I can finally do a few cycletours this year, but I'm not holding my breath. It wouldn't surprise me if the Llangollen canal exploded or Russia invaded the Vennbahn...

Apparently Rishi has given £13.3 million levelling up fund to do some work on Pontcysyllte Aqueduct so you should be ok on the Llangollen canal.

Top Bottom