Holiday plans. Do you have any?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

:laugh::laugh:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
We were due to go on a walking weekend in March, to Aberystwyth. Obviously we had to cancel, we got our accomodatin money back which was nice. No ide when we can go again now.

We've also got our annual weeks' holiday in Cornwall booked for the 8th August. The resort have said they will be opening from 4th July but the bar and pool will be closed (not a big issue). So all being well we might still be able to go. We generally do salef-catering anyway and we can swim in the sea instead of the pool. Only thing is if it's wet, we'll have to entertain the kids in the accomodation but it has wifi so shouldn't be too bad.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Our July holiday to France has been cancelled as a consequence of BA cancelling the outbound flights. Not sure what we'll do next - we have a Somerset cottage booked for October half-term but nothing else planned. A campsite we used last year is re-opening on 17 July and taking bookings so we might chance a few days there. There is also the prospect of delaying some leave until later in the year and maybe getting away in December - skiing is a though but no idea if this will be an option.

Julia9054

Guru
I have mentioned before that I still have the remnants of a holiday booked in Germany, Italy and Austria this August.
Had a zoom meet up with some old uni friends one of whom lives in Frankfurt. She said don't assume it needs writing off as things in that part of Europe are opening up. Gives me a glimmer of hope

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This year is a write off. Maybe down to Devon later in the year to visit our daughter? Maybe over to France in October to see my brothers? Nothing concrete yet as it is out of our control.:sad:

Gunk

Guru
As this year is a complete write off and the kids will be 16 and 18 next year, if we can, we'll probably do a couple of weeks in Canada next year, last big holiday we had was California in 2016, so It will be nice to do a big experience before they go off to university and probably won't want to go on holiday with their boring Mum and Dad!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes, several times.
And I wish all divers would follow the maxim, take only air leave only bubbles, as Thistlegorm is a classic example of them not. 😠
I assume this is a wreck you are talking about. We found the wreck of the Shuna in the Sound of Mull and kept it quiet for as long as possible but as is often the case when three people are involved secrets do not last. The wreck had been wrongly marked as there are two Green Isles or Grey Isles in the Sound [ grey and green are often the same word] and the wrong one was used as a marker. It had been untouched since the early 1900's but when word got out it was literally torn apart within weeks. Divers from the English midlands somewhere tied ropes to bits of the wreck and used the power of large dive boats to rip it to bits to get the brass bits off. Never been back.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I assume this is a wreck you are talking about. We found the wreck of the Shuna in the Sound of Mull and kept it quiet for as long as possible but as is often the case when three people are involved secrets do not last. The wreck had been wrongly marked as there are two Green Isles or Grey Isles in the Sound [ grey and green are often the same word] and the wrong one was used as a marker. It had been untouched since the early 1900's but when word got out it was literally torn apart within weeks. Divers from the English midlands somewhere tied ropes to bits of the wreck and used the power of large dive boats to rip it to bits to get the brass bits off. Never been back.
Yes it is.
I just don't get why "trophies" are required. Even on inland dive sites I have seen sunken objects gradually disappearing and it isn't corrosion. So it must be particularly upsetting when you find something untouched and see it destroyed. 😢

gbb

Legendary Member
Up post I remarked we cancelled our holiday in Turkey, a hotel and city we love. It turns out I'm double pleased we did.
We are FB friends with the manager there and she said it's still closed, so even had we gone, it wouldnt have been at that hotel and that would have been a huge disappointment in itself.
She also said the food menu is going to be limited in many hotels and delivery will be different.
In her opinion things are not going well there with Covid infection despite government reassurances.
Better off out of it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I may have to postpone Jersey after all having stuffed my ankle and knee in a bike crash and being unable to walk currently :cursing:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I was just looking at Tripadvisor for the hotel we were due to go to.....Hotel Romantic, Puerto Pollenca.
Only one recent review and it was very poor.........
No fridge
No kettle
No soap etc for bathroom
Poor breakfast
(All things I enjoyed on last years cycling holiday).
Nothing good to say about it.
Hotel replied confirming all the above was true and blaming Covid lockdown rules.
Just glad we took the money and ran.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've given up travelling needlessly abroad due to my increasingly annoying environmental conscience. [...] buy a motorhome, [...]
It would be better environmentally to cycle abroad than buy a motorhome, surely? IIRC, you're 120 miles from Harwich, so 2-3 days cycling and then you're in the Netherlands, and if you've seen it all, another 2-3 would get you across it in some directions.

Top Bottom