Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spotted a break in the rain and finished the wall this evening after work 😊

The slate arrived today too - looks nice! I've ordered some more custom cut bits today to give a bullnose lip to the steps and to cap the raised bed wall, should look good all being well :okay:

I've got to collect some stone sealant from screwfix tomorrow so I can give the slate a couple of coats, then I'll start painting the new wall and steps black 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bit more progress this evening, I've unpacked the slate ready to wash and seal and I've painted the brickwork below dampcourse :becool: Amazing the difference a bit of paint can make!

I started with the new wall...

Then carried on across the front of the house. I still need to do down the other side but I've got some soil to shift before that can happen :laugh:

Nice to have some visible progress again, it's been slow going recently what with all my other projects and the flooded kitchen :laugh: Speaking of kitchens, we have contractors in on Thursday to tear it all out - I wonder how long we'll be without for :rolleyes:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Bit more progress this evening, I've unpacked the slate ready to wash and seal and I've painted the brickwork below dampcourse :becool: Amazing the difference a bit of paint can make!

I started with the new wall...

View attachment 595315

Then carried on across the front of the house. I still need to do down the other side but I've got some soil to shift before that can happen :laugh:

View attachment 595316

Nice to have some visible progress again, it's been slow going recently what with all my other projects and the flooded kitchen :laugh: Speaking of kitchens, we have contractors in on Thursday to tear it all out - I wonder how long we'll be without for :rolleyes:
will you putting more lead across the top of that porch roof??

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
will you putting more lead across the top of that porch roof??

Certainly will, I still need to put mortar down the edges of the tiles too. The lead up there is re-used from the original porch canopy, eventually I'll extend it to the ends of the new roof. It would be urgent if it was leaking, but it went through last winter with no problems so will get done when it gets done :laugh:

jowwy

Certainly will, I still need to put mortar down the edges of the tiles too. The lead up there is re-used from the original porch canopy, eventually I'll extend it to the ends of the new roof. It would be urgent if it was leaking, but it went through last winter with no problems so will get done when it gets done :laugh:
its been a top job so far........but still want to see the mancave/garage job being completed as well, you set yourself very high standards and targets :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Mancave may need some attention soon, simply because i have nowhere to store the insulation while I lay the drive :laugh: Would be good to get it done to be honest, I really didnt need the kitchen flood :rolleyes::laugh:

jowwy

Mancave may need some attention soon, simply because i have nowhere to store the insulation while I lay the drive :laugh: Would be good to get it done to be honest, I really didnt need the kitchen flood :rolleyes::laugh:
i was going to re-do my mancave this year, but to be honest i have done so many garden projects i just want to stop and enjoy it all now

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've only had a few spare hours over the last few days but have made a bit of progress by digging a hole and filling it in again :okay::laugh:

Here's the hole, complete with rather large unidentified concrete lump in the middle. Fortunately its lower than the slabs will be so I don't need to remove it :laugh:

Here's the hole after I'd filled it in again :laugh: I filled it with ballast then a layer of sharp sand, all tamped down as I went. I hope to get the chance to mix up some mortar tomorrow and put some slabs down :becool: I've bought some black dye for the mortar, should look better against the black slate.

We also had the wet floor stripped out of the kitchen yesterday, so the subfloor is now drying. Once that was out a friend popped over and replaced the stopcock and questionable pipework :okay:

Once the fabric of the building is dry the rest of the kitchen and floor will have to come out ready to be replaced, that should be fun :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I laid the slate path today :okay: All went well until I rain out of sand with 2 bit of slab left to put down :rolleyes::laugh: Had to tidy up and nip out for more :laugh: I used black dye in the mortar as a bit of an experiment, looks nice wet but will have to wait and see what it looks like dry... This will all be underground anyway of course, hence being useful for an experiment :laugh:

The custom cut bits of slate are still a few weeks off so the temporary concrete slabs remain on the steps for now but they will match the path, as will the top of the raised bed wall 😊

Lots more digging to do now :wacko:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm done for the day :surrender: In fact I might be done for the week :laugh:

The digging is nearly finished, its hard going in places with lots of rubble buried in pockets so the breaker has been getting some use :laugh:

View attachment 539270

I've shifted a decent amount, no wonder my arms ache - I'm used to an air conditioned office :blush:

View attachment 539271

I might carry on tomorrow but it rather depends how I feel in the morning :laugh:

When you said "lots of rubble buried in pockets" on first reading I thought you'd been emulating "The Great Escape" for getting rid of the spoil to avoid paying for a skip

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
These arrived today, two more pallets to come in a few weeks time. Doesnt give me much time to lay these then clear and prep the other side :laugh: I best get digging :wacko:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spent a few hours last night loading the paving blocks in to the wheel barrow and carting them round the back - 808 of them if you're asking :laugh: Ended up being quite a good workout :laugh: Here they are all stacked up in their temporary home...

With them out of the way I had somewhere for my spoil heap so I could start digging 😊 I spent about an hour and a half at it this evening with several rest stops as it's bloody hard work :laugh: The clay soil interspersed with lumps of concrete, flint and bricks make the mattock a necessity :laugh: I managed to get this much shifted in around 90 minutes and I would guess I'm about 40% across the first section so I should finish digging this bit tomorrow afternoon. Once it's dug out to the right depth I can mix some concrete and start laying the perimeter blocks 😊

Top Bottom