Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The new company car will be arriving within the next 6 weeks or so; with the arrival of the van this means the pressure is now on to finish the new driveway out front as otherwise there won't be space for it :laugh: We have the dropped kerb being done in early July so I've got to get my arse in gear again :laugh:

Yesterday evening after work I dug a trench and filled it with concrete; once the storms have passed in the next few days I'll build a small brick raised bed here.

I've just ordered some black slate slabs to lay the footpath and steps to the front door then I'll be able to dig out the remaining area ready to block pave :okay: Need to finalise the new drain route and lay that before the driveway goes down otherwise it'll be coming straight back up again :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Once again impending rain has prevented me putting any mortar down but I've done some work this evening regardless; The bricks have all moved back in to the front garden from their storage area out back, and I've laid some out ready to go once the weather is playing ball :okay: I've also managed to bag an elusive tip slot tomorrow afternoon, so I spent an hour or so sorting through the big pile of rubble to get rid of what I could, its now all loaded in to the van so I don't have to do it in the rain tomorrow :laugh:

I'll pop some wall starters in at either end to hold the new wall to the old, dont want my new flower bed subsiding afterall 😄

The new slate slabs are arriving on Monday too :becool:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've just drained the rad and taken it off the wall. First time I've done it and I'm pleased to say it was easier than I antipated 😄 I opened the bleed valve then cracked the first Union open a quarter turn....

View attachment 588245

I drained it pretty slowly but once the water stopped coming I was able to move the valve far enough away from the rad to fit the cap and seal. Same again on the other side, I tipped the rad slightly to get a little more water out then put a cap on the valve. The rad then lifted off easily and is now in the front garden. I wonder how long it will stay there :laugh:

View attachment 588246

There used to be a decorative cover over this rad, I suspect the previous owner had put it there to cover their awful attempt at skirting :rolleyes:

View attachment 588247

Oh well, should be nice when it's finished :laugh:
Excellent!

I always figured I'd need a plumber to remove a radiator... and now I know I don't. :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Have you got a permit for the van as some tip providers are a bigger for this?

Yeah, I've had to book a van slot which seem to be harder to get hold of, even when you state its only household waste. On the plus side they give vans 30 mins to unload as opposed to the 15 mins a car gets :laugh:

icowden

Veteran
Excellent!
I always figured I'd need a plumber to remove a radiator... and now I know I don't. :okay:

My top tip for this is to get an old plastic bottle cut in half, take the top half and cut into a scoop shape. Then you can shove the plastic between the valve and the radiator and all the water gets neatly directed down the neck of the bottle rather than splashing the wall / floor / carpet.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My top tip for this is to get an old plastic bottle cut in half, take the top half and cut into a scoop shape. Then you can shove the plastic between the valve and the radiator and all the water gets neatly directed down the neck of the bottle rather than splashing the wall / floor / carpet.
Mr Bssl's quarter turn and drip trick appeared to work rather well... no sign of splashing on the wall, floor or carpet in his pictures.

icowden

Veteran
Mr Bssl's quarter turn and drip trick appeared to work rather well... no sign of splashing on the wall, floor or carpet in his pictures.

True, but it never works for me. Water usually ends up missing the tray. Hence the bottle trick !

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The weird red stuff on the wall is paint, but seems to be localised in that area only... Very odd, but by no means the only odd thing I've found in this house :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
No rain today! This has enabled me to stack some bricks :okay: Not all of them mind, I wouldn't want to actually finish a job now would I 😄

I was thinking of using wall starters, but for such a short wall I figured a better option would be to drill some mortar out, pump the holes full of resin and push some wall ties in. So thats what I did :laugh: Two at the short end - these will be in tension once the wall is loaded.

And 4 at the other end - these ones will be in shear so I put one in between each course.

Then I got to work stacking some bricks ^_^ Not much more to go, but decided it wasn't worth mixing a 1/4 load of mortar just to finish these off and I'd wait for another day when I had some more mixed for other jobs. Shouldn't take long now to lay the last few since the corner is up and it's all level.

I've left two of the perps free of mortar in the bottom course to allow water to drain if needed. They shouldn't be needed as there is a decent gap between the house foundation and the small wall footings but thought I'd feel silly if I didn't put them in and they were needed... They'll likely be below the finished driveway level anyway but I'll sleep better knowing they're there :laugh:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
No rain today! This has enabled me to stack some bricks :okay: Not all of them mind, I wouldn't want to actually finish a job now would I 😄

I was thinking of using wall starters, but for such a short wall I figured a better option would be to drill some mortar out, pump the holes full of resin and push some wall ties in. So thats what I did :laugh: Two at the short end - these will be in tension once the wall is loaded.

View attachment 594638

And 4 at the other end - these ones will be in shear so I put one in between each course.

View attachment 594639

Then I got to work stacking some bricks ^_^ Not much more to go, but decided it wasn't worth mixing a 1/4 load of mortar just to finish these off and I'd wait for another day when I had some more mixed for other jobs. Shouldn't take long now to lay the last few since the corner is up and it's all level.

View attachment 594637

I've left two of the perps free of mortar in the bottom course to allow water to drain if needed. They shouldn't be needed as there is a decent gap between the house foundation and the small wall footings but thought I'd feel silly if I didn't put them in and they were needed... They'll likely be below the finished driveway level anyway but I'll sleep better knowing they're there :laugh:
Top job all round that……….

Top Bottom