Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Mini progress report, because not much has happened recently for one reason or another :laugh:

I've run a load of cables through the ceiling void to extend both hdmi leads to the new TV position and several house alarm cables to the new cupboard where the sky box, cctv, alarm panel etc will all be located. I had to chop a bit more ceiling out to do it but worth it for the improved access.

20220416_154305.jpg

With all the required cables in place I boarded the rest of the ceiling...

20220503_161401.jpg

I've spent the afternoon today chopping out the last few bits of coving in this area and doing an initial coat of thick plaster in the area's that needed bringing level. I've also started taping joints in the plasterboard but a few more to do still.

20220503_184329.jpg

Once this little lot has cured I'll go round with a hammer and chisel and knock off the remaining high spots then do another quick coat of coarse plaster in a few places and tape the remaining joints. Then the ceiling will need a coat of PVA and I'll be ready for the skim coat of plaster :okay: I'm not looking forward to that bit :laugh:

This little corner is going to be particularly interesting :laugh:

20220503_184345.jpg

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Plastering too ? … is there no end to this man’s skill set ? :notworthy::laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've done a bit more rough plastering today and finished all the bits that needed doing before I attempt the skim coat :blink: I still don't have high hopes but it'll be fun trying it out :laugh: It's not like I'll be ruining anything, just might have to pay someone to do it again :laugh:

Anyway, first job was to chop a bit of plaster out and run the new phone line extension in to the master socket... I was suprised to see there's no grommet in the wall box where the BT engineer has run the line in but figured since it's only 50V and there doesnt seem to be a requirement for them I would do the same.

20220514_093744.jpg

20220514_094237.jpg

I then mixed up some more of the rough plaster and filled it over, then taped the corner.

20220514_113153.jpg

Next I put another coat of plaster on the end of the beam where it had all been knocked out to try and bring it closer to flush with the remaining plaster. This is going to be a pig as there are 3 or 4 coats of existing plaster in a patchwork where previous owners have made alterations. I'm just going to have to build it up and knock bits off until it's right - I'm sure this isn't the right way of doing it but I'll get there in the end :laugh:

20220514_113242.jpg

20220514_113232.jpg

To finish off for the morning I used the last of the plaster to tape some more joints and fill the hole left by the old light fitting, only a few joints left to do now but I can at least get started plastering the stud walls once this has gone off a bit :okay:

20220514_113216.jpg

I've got some PVA now so will give the artex a quick coat of that before I attempt to plaster the ceiling, what could possibly go wrong :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've started 'operation artex gone' today. First a coat of watered down PVA on to the ceiling then a first coat of plaster to fill gaps between the peaks...

20220521_135440.jpg

I've just given up two thirds of the way through a second coat as my neck and shoulder are knackered, it's hard work this :laugh: Once I have finished the second coat it should be flat enough to skim over the top so not far to go now, then there's just the other rooms to do :rolleyes:

20220521_160725.jpg

I've started 'operation artex gone' today. First a coat of watered down PVA on to the ceiling then a first coat of plaster to fill gaps between the peaks...

View attachment 645643

I've just given up two thirds of the way through a second coat as my neck and shoulder are knackered, it's hard work this :laugh: Once I have finished the second coat it should be flat enough to skim over the top so not far to go now, then there's just the other rooms to do :rolleyes:

View attachment 645648

There’s a reason why Plasterers are built like brick outhouses.

Respect to you for giving it a go.

CXRAndy

Guru
Never use pva, better to use SBR. PVA becomes soft and does delaminate from the base fixing. SBR remains hard fixed

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have some SBR and have used it in a few places externally but on reading up on the topic I decided to buy some PVA instead; apparently unlike SBR, PVA remains water soluble once dry which gives advantages when plastering. The only time SBR is recommended over PVA for plastering seems to be in damp areas like bathrooms, otherwise PVA seems to be preferred. I'm only regurgitating what I've read so you may well be right, but I'm not gonna peel the plaster off and start again now :laugh: If it falls off in future I'll reconsider :laugh:

postman

Legendary Member
Well I have decided I don't like decorating anymore.The eyesight is crap,just put the final coat of emulsion on the bedroom and the two ceilings bathroom and shower room.I hope I have not missed bits,the light kept changing.Woodwork next but not today,I have had enough.Then its the massive front bedroom.I need a rest,lost interest already.

Adam4868

Guru
Plastered for 20 years sometimes for work and sometimes not ! I allways use a watered down PVA delays the setting time.Especially over something like Artex...leave the pva to go off till just tacky.Dont take too much on in one go.Looking good though.

Adam4868

Guru

View attachment 645643

View attachment 645648
Not that you need any advice....looking good.
But couple of pointers 😁 When skimming allways two coats,first coat bit thicker.Let fist coat dry until you can just about see your finger print in it,don't overthink the finish.Just a quick flatten with your trowel.Second coat on leave to go off a bit....don't rush messing with it ! Then final trowel up,polish whatever you want to call it.Use a wet brush/paint brush for angles/corners to brush in.Some like to use a spray bottle with water for troweling up.You can polish plaster to a glass like finish but it's a bas#ard to paint !
Sorry for my two penneth worth...looks good 👍

postman

Legendary Member
Driveway pointed,not a pro job,but it's done what I needed.A few slabs missed cos I ran out of mortar but no complete four sides maybe one side,and they are the thinnest sides which were the hardest to fill.Sadly got a bit of cement on the slabs faces,but in time that might run off.I cannot see weeds coming through now,and whoever buys the house in four or five years can put their own drive in.Finally I cannot believe how good the emulsion looks no misses all nice and solid.Praise for Wilkos rollers and not even the best one that is going to be used in the big bedroom.All in all Postman is a happy bunny today.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've spent the day working on the house and plan to spend more time on it over the long weekend to try and make some progress :okay:

First job today was to board over the new steelwork. I've hammered some wooden battens in to the beam and used some PU adhesive to keep them in place then screwed the boards to these, seems to have worked anyway 😄

20220602_122233.jpg

20220602_135906.jpg

I then finished off the studwork in the partition between the toilet and cupboard which allowed me to board that wall and a bit more of the ceiling in the loo. I've also popped the vent fan in its hole ready to be connected up.
20220602_171452.jpg

I've got a mess of wires coming in to the cupboard now so I've bundled them all up - I just need to make sure I start connecting them up before I forget which does what :laugh:

20220602_183548.jpg

I also ran a wire for a doorbell, I've been playing around with one that connects up to the cctv system but won't fit it externally until the internal bits are done, otherwise people will stop knocking on the door :laugh:

20220602_173007.jpg

The electrician has confirmed hes coming back a week on Monday to finish the electrics and install the air conditioning for the living room. The aim is to get as ready as possible for his visit so I'll be pushing on tomorrow afternoon after a quick ride in the morning 😊

Top Bottom