How do you do curry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Rather than coconut milk, that ends up with a watery curry, I find a sachet / chunk of creamed coconut and add a bit of water to thin down slightly makes a much better texture to the gravy.

I use either a shop bought or home made paste as my starter point.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Rather than coconut milk, that ends up with a watery curry, I find a sachet / chunk of creamed coconut and add a bit of water to thin down slightly makes a much better texture to the gravy.

I use either a shop bought or home made paste as my starter point.

yes good point. Some brands of coconut milk tend to separate into solids and liquid, one can drain out the liquid first and then slop in the solids. but others appear well mixed so in that case I usually cook off the contents to reduce it first, before I add the other ingredients.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
yes good point. Some brands of coconut milk tend to separate into solids and liquid, one can drain out the liquid first and then slop in the solids. but others appear well mixed so in that case I usually cook off the contents to reduce it first, before I add the other ingredients.
That's because they blend the water and coconut meat which makes it thick. If you can buy just the water it's preferable unless making Thai curry.
I'm lucky here as the coconut man calls several times a week. The water is very good for you to drink by itself. Makes you pee though.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
There's so many top notch Indian restaurants around here, I wouldn't bother making my own.

I do however sometimes make a basic Chinese chicken curry; concentrated Maysan sauce, onions, peas and meat... nom nom nom.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There's so many top notch Indian restaurants around here, I wouldn't bother making my own.

I do however sometimes make a basic Chinese chicken curry; concentrated Maysan sauce, onions, peas and meat... nom nom nom.
Never think of Chinese curry as a 'proper' curry. :sad:

Dadam

Aldi 2-part paste wirh chicken and veg
Or
Thai fish green currey with Blue Dragon pot of paste, frozen white fish + mixed seafood, full fat coconut milk and veg. This one is v quick, mostly pantry and freezer ingredients.

Good tip about the quick Thai fish curry. Except the mixed seafood, not for me thanks. 🤢

Good tip about the quick Thai fish curry. Except the mixed seafood, not for me thanks. 🤢

The method is
1. Fry onion
2 fry peppers, courgettes, carot jullienes.
3Add paste and heat.
4 Add coconut milk
5 Add frozen fish. Cooks for about 10 mins until it comes apart easily.
6 Before fish is finished, add leafy greens eg pak choi.
You have to control the rate of evaporation so it isnt too watery.

presta

Guru
The water is very good for you to drink by itself.
I once poked a hole in a coconut, poured the water out, drank it, then broke the cocnut open.
It was all rotten inside, completely black instead of white. :laugh:
Look before you leap.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
This is where we are at !!

image.jpg

Tinned tomatoes or fresh in a blender?
Gotta be fresh i'm afraid to get the curry base right.
3 onions sliced
big piece of fresh ginger, chopped
4/5 big garlic cloves, chopped
Boiled in half a cup of water for 15 mins until soft, lid on, cool for a bit, then add chopped fresh toms (6 big ones) into the blender until really smooth, spoon of tom puree, caster sugar, lemon juice, season .... phew .... some melted ghee then simmer for 45 mins, water as necessary.
A Sri Lankan colleague gave me this base recipe years ago, and worth the faff, time permitting.
Current favoured spice blend is: (heated first) whole black cardamon, black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, 2-5 dried chillies, cumin powder. Have tended to steer away from ready made powders which seem to have a lot of turmeric/coriander in them, stalks chopped from a huge bunch of fresh coriander goes in later, then often almond powder or coconut milk to get the consistency right, simmered for another hour or so with the blended base .....
Meat not cooked in the sauce ... big lamb chunks seasoned and marinated in lots of lemon juice, lots of chopped coriander and a bit of yoghurt/tandoori paste for 2 hours, grilled so you get the black edges but rare in the middle, maybe some crispy fried onion garnish and a (well deserved) cold beer.
I love making curries ^_^

+1 for making from scratch - especially indian / pakistani style curries, or chinese curries for that matter. It's amazing how different the flavours can be simply by varying the proportion of the ingredients. It's no cheaper than buying a jar of sauce, but the bonus is that you can make your curry exactly to your taste.

I will use ready-made pastes for thai curries, as I don't use enough of some of the more specialized bits and bobs to make it worthwhile buying them separately. But I do have a very good little oriental supermarket here in Ely that stocks a good range of all the authentic stuff. Also, the pastes are nice to jazz up soups.

A favourite soup at this time of year is a thai-style carrot, sweet potato and red lentil :hungry:

I had a go at making a thai paste from scratch, cost a bomb and didn't taste as good!
No brainer with this deal on at Waitrose and the thai curry kits are only £2.35 as well, tried them all and not a bad curry yet.
View attachment 675688

Hah, those are tiddly - and spendy. I can get a 400g tub for £2.59 in the oriental supermarket. And it's the real McCoy, not something made for western tastes. :biggrin:

Hah, those are tiddly - and spendy. I can get a 400g tub for £2.59 in the oriental supermarket. And it's the real McCoy, not something made for western tastes. :biggrin:

God, i wish I had an oriental supermarket, I can eat chinese, thai etc every day. My aim is to perfect a spicy seafood salad, like those crazy hot ones in Thailand, not here unfortunately.

Top Bottom