How do you do curry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
If you like the Chinese style curry, then S&B Golden curry blocks are ace, really easy and exactly the same as what you order from a Chinese restaurant.

Matter of taste I guess @Grant Fondo . Basmati is very nice but I also like Vietnamese or Thai, which they call 'perfumed' as it has a pleasant smell. Basmati is quite expensive now.

I'm a fan of those as well, and agree the prices are crazy in the big supermarkets. Tilda basmati is around £5/kg now? problem is the better (and cheaper) ones are often sold in larger quantities, like Salaam which is £7.50 for 5kg online. We get through a lot of rice at chez Fondo which helps ^_^

I keep an eye out for offers of the big 10kg sacks in the world foods aisle in Tesco. I think I paid £12.50 for a Laila-branded sack of basmati rice not that long ago, which worked out some 50p a kilo cheaper than the Tesco own brand. Not tried it yet, as I'm still working my way through a job lot of Tilda Himalayan basmati that I picked up on YS clearance for 67p for a kilo packet. Needless to say, I cleaned them out, still have 3kg left I think.

I've no issues with buying stuff like rice and pasta in bulk.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
https://spicesontheweb.co.uk/

I use a lot of their spice mixes. I just mix the meat with it and marinade in yogurt for the day. Easy.

I watch a lot of Indian cookery on YouTube and the basis for good flavour tends to be whole spices (roasted, then ground), marinated in curd and/or lemon juice, for at least an hour. I could probably get some good quality spices in the asian supermarket in town but I tend to use supermarket ones (i.e. curry powder, garam masala, ground corinader, tumeric etc). I did have a free trial of "The spice club" where they send you the recipe and the spices, and it was much more flavoursome than supermarket jars of spices. Having said that, they were so good that they found their way out of my body fairly quickly so I tend to use milder sauces or paste now.

I watch a lot of Indian cookery on YouTube and the basis for good flavour tends to be whole spices (roasted, then ground), marinated in curd and/or lemon juice, for at least an hour. I could probably get some good quality spices in the asian supermarket in town but I tend to use supermarket ones (i.e. curry powder, garam masala, ground corinader, tumeric etc). I did have a free trial of "The spice club" where they send you the recipe and the spices, and it was much more flavoursome than supermarket jars of spices. Having said that, they were so good that they found their way out of my body fairly quickly so I tend to use milder sauces or paste now.

I'll be starting one after the rugger... it will be a butter chicken with plenty of almond powder and got some great spices from asian supermarket, those big cinnamon sticks and fenugreek seeds, curry leaves etc.
I love currys ^_^

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I did a lamb Rogan Josh in the slow cooker yesterday. Started with a half leg of lamb from the butcher. It was lovely, although my latest jar of curry paste is quite fiery!🔥

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I tend to make variations of the BBC Good food chicken biryani recipe. Though make up my own curry paste with tomatoe puree and a random selection of herbs/spices (veering towards the mild for the family). Usually make a "cheats black daal" to go with it

Nibor

Bewildered
I do a madras using carrot and corriander soup (ALDIS is cheapest)

Chicken Madras BIR Recipe

Ingredients:
350g Diced Chicken
300ml YorkshireIndian Curry Base (substitute a tin of carrot and Coriander soup)
1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tsp Chilli Powder (1/2 more for Hot Madras)
1 Tsp Garam Masala
½ Tsp Cumin Powder
½ Tsp Coriander Powder
½ Tsp Salt (or to taste)
1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 ½ TBsp Oil

Method:

Add Coriander & Cumin Seeds to a hot pan.

Toast for a minute then add the oil.

Once seeds start to pop, add the diced chicken and allow to brown slighty.

Add the Ginger/Garlic paste and continue to fry for a further 3 mins.

Turn heat to low, add the salt & powdered spices and mix in for 30 seconds.

Turn heat back to medium and add the YorkshireIndian curry base.

Mix in, allow to cook for 3 mins then add a little hot water.

Bring to heat, turn heat down, cover with lid and allow to simmer for 4 mins.

Take lid off and allow to simmer for a further 3 mins.

Check consistency of sauce is correct for your taste.

Garnish with Fresh Coriander & some Coriander Powder.

Top Bottom