How do you do curry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tend to make variations of the BBC Good food chicken biryani recipe. Though make up my own curry paste with tomatoe puree and a random selection of herbs/spices (veering towards the mild for the family). Usually make a "cheats black daal" to go with it

The BBC Good Food website has some really great curry recipes.

I really dig the Beef Madras, where the paste is done with a mix of black pepper, chilli and ginger, so you get a much more complex "heat" that you would from chilli alone. I do tone it down a bit though, as I'm not a fan of blowing my head off.

A can of chick peas thrown in alongside the beef is lovely too - that's actually my preference as opposed to beef on its own.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
The BBC Good Food website has some really great curry recipes.

I really dig the Beef Madras, where the paste is done with a mix of black pepper, chilli and ginger, so you get a much more complex "heat" that you would from chilli alone. I do tone it down a bit though, as I'm not a fan of blowing my head off.

A can of chick peas thrown in alongside the beef is lovely too - that's actually my preference as opposed to beef on its own.

Not sure my family would cope with a Madras. As it is I have to substitute chilli powder with smoked paprika!^_^
I have to add in my own voice afterwards. Will look this one up, especially if it can be adapted for a slow cooker

Not sure my family would cope with a Madras. As it is I have to substitute chilli powder with smoked paprika!^_^
I have to add in my own voice afterwards. Will look this one up, especially if it can be adapted for a slow cooker

I actually do it in the slow cooker as I can just leave it to get on with itself. I brown the beef in a pan, then use the same pan to make the curry paste and deglaze it after.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
whilst were on recipes, this is ace for easy naan type bread (and also works as well as pitta type too). You can jazz it up by adding fresh coriander or toasted seeds of your choice. Just Yoghurt and SR flour (about 30g of each per "bread") and a pinch of salt and a splash of oil

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/12304531/recipe/easy-yoghurt-flatbreads-varying-sizes

Thank you for this. Have added to the saved recipes in Bbc good food (which suddenly seems rife with adverts)

Planning to make my first dhal this week, always loved the taste of them and a nice change from the 'standard' chicken or lamb currys i usually make.
Dal-Fry-Recipe.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I like my curry to be like chip shop curry. I simply use Wing Yip curry sauce. Works Great with chicken as well.

Biker BoB

The Doris was brought up by her nan ......
This has resulted in large amount of Indian food on a weekly basis.
Nan was in India for 35 years I think.

Very rarely get delivery as it's just not the same.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Doris was brought up by her nan ......
This has resulted in large amount of Indian food on a weekly basis.
Nan was in India for 35 years I think.

Very rarely get delivery as it's just not the same.

I'd prefer a fresher Naan to be honest, even if made locally.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Planning to make my first dhal this week, always loved the taste of them and a nice change from the 'standard' chicken or lamb currys i usually make.
I made my first dhal on Friday, very, very, easy just allow enough time for the lentils to properly soften and the water to boil off to the right consistency and get plenty of flavour into the garlic/onion/spice mix to stir into it. One of my favorite side dishes.

Top Bottom