How do you do curry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Anyone care to give their tips for making a good curry from scratch.
I always tend to use Patak's paste which excellent and all you really need. Just add the meat/chicken whatever. Usually add some fresh chilli as even the hot pastes are not that hot. Any added spices?
Tinned tomatoes or fresh in a blender? Sometimes I substitute coconut water which makes it a bit sweeter.
I usually add a small bit of sugar or mango chutney, obligatory as a side to finished meal. Sweetness takes the heat out if you've added a bit too much chilli.

Last edited:

Dadam

These days I usually use the 2 part jars from Aldi - powdered spice plus sauce. Really nice and save loads of faff.

But when I make it fresh I grind the whole dried spices (I favour black cardamom seeds and cumin) in a pestle and mortar, add them to the hot oil for 20 seconds then a load of finely chopped onions and garlic, cook for 10 mins. That gives you the lovely thick sauce base and you can add toms if desired then whatever meat and veg you want. Any fresh chillies go in at this point, then simmer low and long if you've time. A handful of coarsely chopped fresh coriander just before serving.

Dadam

You can also vary by adding grated ginger with the onions and garlic, and/or add the spices after cooking the onions.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Pataks paste is excellent, but I'd always start off with a base of fresh onion, ginger and garlic fried off first.

Optional extras any/all of fresh chilli, tinned tomatoes or coconut milk (or creamed coconut to make it thicker).

Sometimes I do my own, roasting cumin, coriander seeds, cardamon, black pepper, mustard seeds in random amount then grinding in a spice mill with cinnamon. Makes excellent dahl.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I find using whole spices (other than ground Turmeric) considerably improves largely because they retain freshness. That is, I freshly grind the whole spices myself, sometimes finely, other-times coarsely or use them whole where appropriate. Usually I dry-fry (ie no oil) spices before grinding and using. Mostly some combination of coriander, cumin, mustardseed, cardamom (sparingly). Chilli is always fresh not dried or poweder. Occasionally fenugreek or asofedtia (spelling?) if I'm being posh and actually using a recipe. In any case use different combinations missing out one or more according to what's being cooked - sometimes it's a bit random if I'm doing multiple dishes - just to avoid all tasting the same.

Couple of top recipes:

Tarka dal: cook the lentils with a stock cube added. Dal spice mix - I dry fry without oil cumin and mustardseed, until they pop, then slightly smoke, then stick in pestle & mortar for grinding. Fry lots and lots of garlic in butter or ghee, adding chopped chillies and spice mix later - then when dal is cooked stir in the spice & garlic mix (the tarka) right at the end. I'd previously, wrongly, been cooking it all in together - was tipped off the proper way by a Pakistani heritage bloke at work, and my dals have been spot on ever since

Another good one is fish curry (from Atul Kulchha's book). Cumin, coriander cooked dry till seeds pop, fry onion, the add lemon juice, sliced fresh toms, and fish stock, then finally add grilled fish. Easy and lovely.

And finally, do you know the difference betwen tarka dal and ordinary dal? One's a lightly spiced Indian dish, and the other's a little 'otter

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If in a rush I'll use a paste but usually it's spices from a jar. Sometimes a tin of tomatoes. I love the Thai paste and coconut milk, and also the Chinese powder which imo should only be made with chicken, onions and peas.

I did find an "Indian takeaway" recipe once which was lush. You make a veggie base with onion, carrot, ginger, garlic and a little cabbage. Throw in some spices and blend into a soupy mix. Then add spices, meat, lentils whatever to your base. Tasted just like a takeaway.

I've also made more authentic recipes with ground spices, I made one perfect which was delicious, but alas every time I try to recreate it, it comes out rubbish due to me not measuring and using wrong proportions of various spices

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Probably does not count but had this Sat in Scotland- not home made but vegan cauliflower & butternut effort very nice for a change presume it was just “thrown together” that’s about the limit of my skills 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• B3DFE7B7-D212-4C75-9220-ED204C14BF8F.jpeg
    B3DFE7B7-D212-4C75-9220-ED204C14BF8F.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 4
Make up a pot of garam masala a couple of times a year, that’s the base. Then nothing moves without onions and tomatoes, plenty of olive oil, tom purée and finally some coconut milk depending on what I’m aiming for.

I often make the roti as well but only in the winter when the wood oven is on.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I use 50/50 curry powder and mixed spice. I got the idea after I was given a balti that smelt like a Christmas pudding.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Anyone care to give their tips for making a good curry from scratch.
I always tend to use Patak's paste which excellent and all you really need. Just add the meat/chicken whatever. Usually add some fresh chilli as even the hot pastes are not that hot. Any added spices?
Tinned tomatoes or fresh in a blender? Sometimes I substitute coconut water which makes it a bit sweeter.
I usually add a small bit of sugar or mango chutney, obligatory as a side to finished meal. Sweetness takes the heat out if you've added a bit too much chilli.
Hmmm.

^_^

Here is quick and very basic way of doing a semi dry chicken curry. Nothing fancy.
1674547610019.png

Items needed:
1. 500 grams cut chicken with bone.
2. Meat curry powder (this is the ready grounded mix of all well known spices)
3. Turmeric powder
4. One large red onion
5. Cooking oil
6. Pan with cover
Steps:
1. Mix chicken with 3 tablespoons of Meat powder and 2 tablespoons of turmeric and marinate. Cover the container with cling wrap and leave in fridge overnight or for 12 hours.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in pan
3. Chuck thinly sliced onion in heated oil and let it go soft but do not brown - 3 minutes on low heat. Keep stirring
4. Add chicken pieces and mix well with onions.
5. High heat with cover - 5 minutes - stir every 2 minutes
6. Leave on medium heat with cover for 10 minutes
7. Add half cup of water, mix well and leave on low heat for 20 minutes
8. Ready to eat with rice and veg salad.

Top Bottom