How do you do curry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
God, i wish I had an oriental supermarket, I can eat chinese, thai etc every day. My aim is to perfect a spicy seafood salad, like those crazy hot ones in Thailand, not here unfortunately.

These are online as well as in Chester?
can always stock up.
https://www.zing-asia.co.uk/

plenty of Asian supermarkets around here, not least as I’m about 3 miles from New Malden with its massive Korean population! Noticed this eve that a new one has opened in Sutton too

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
God, i wish I had an oriental supermarket, I can eat chinese, thai etc every day. My aim is to perfect a spicy seafood salad, like those crazy hot ones in Thailand, not here unfortunately.
I don't know exactly where you are in Cheshire but there are at least a dozen according to Google Maps.
Near Chester? There's the Sunflower Cash & Carry. These C&C's are the best for variety and price.

The one here only opened about a year ago. It's a tiny shop, but it's a godsend to be able to buy proper sweet chilli sauce in decent-sized bottles at a price that doesn't break the bank.

I like punchy, but not crazy hot.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I do enjoy 'Indian' and have enjoyed doing them from (what I call) scratch in a slow cooker.
Problem is not eating them often enough to justify having all the spices........although I have enough to vary my flavours.
I, personally, couldn't be bothered with all the faff of doing everthing from scratch.
Another problem is.......I really enjoy Aldi Jalfreizi chicken. Includes rice. £2.30 :smile:

T4tomo

Guru
Hah, those are tiddly - and spendy. I can get a 400g tub for £2.59 in the oriental supermarket. And it's the real McCoy, not something made for western tastes. :biggrin:

Indeed, the OH's dad lives near Harrow, and buys curry paste by the kilo, so we tend to top up our jar when visiting.

been using these for a while, 3 or 4 whole for mild, or chopped into sauce at the end for fiery.
1674753654523.png

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
These days I usually use the 2 part jars from Aldi - powdered spice plus sauce. Really nice and save loads of faff.

But when I make it fresh I grind the whole dried spices (I favour black cardamom seeds and cumin) in a pestle and mortar, add them to the hot oil for 20 seconds then a load of finely chopped onions and garlic, cook for 10 mins. That gives you the lovely thick sauce base and you can add toms if desired then whatever meat and veg you want. Any fresh chillies go in at this point, then simmer low and long if you've time. A handful of coarsely chopped fresh coriander just before serving.

The Aldi jars are v.good - decent taste and very easy to make.

I don't know exactly where you are in Cheshire but there are at least a dozen according to Google Maps.
Near Chester? There's the Sunflower Cash & Carry. These C&C's are the best for variety and price.

not that great for chinese, not bad for indian on Brook St ... spices etc much cheaper than the big chains. Just wish we had Manchester's choice, but hey ho ... i'll actually make the trip to get some proper dim sum in chinatown, yum ^_^

Adam4868

Guru
not that great for chinese, not bad for indian on Brook St ... spices etc much cheaper than the big chains. Just wish we had Manchester's choice, but hey ho ... i'll actually make the trip to get some proper dim sum in chinatown, yum ^_^
Siam Smiles, Deansgate do some great Thai food...the Som Tam is worth the journey for.

Been banging on about making a nice curry elsewhere, is this the 'home of curry' thread?
I've started to realise how important good basmati rice is, used some from Pakistan last night, about £1 cheaper than the usual supermarket rice, but what a difference. Soaked for half an hour first, magic and a go-to from now on.

Top Bottom