How do you mount and dismount your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is interesting to see that a few people still scoot to start off with . I thought it had gone out of fashion! It used to be a common sight back in the 60's for mounting or dismounting .
I tend to lean my bike over to the left and swing my right leg across on to the pedal and set off that way . I sometimes get off via scooting, it depends whether I'm approaching a light controlled crossing or not .

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I find a bit of pavement or something and put my left leg, then get the right over the junk.
Quite right, always be careful of the junk when mounting and dismounting....

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
It is interesting to see that a few people still scoot to start off with . I thought it had gone out of fashion! It used to be a common sight back in the 60's for mounting or dismounting .
I tend to lean my bike over to the left and swing my right leg across on to the pedal and set off that way . I sometimes get off via scooting, it depends whether I'm approaching a light controlled crossing or not .
We coach the scoot mount/dismount as an added balance exercise.

simongt

Guru
I always did a right 'leg over' onto my bikes, sometimes with a scooting start. But since having a 40cm. pin in my right femur after a crash, I'm more cautious about doing it, as I no longer have the flexibility to achieve it each time. And going down like a sack of tatties, bike and all, isn't my preferred way of starting a ride - ! :laugh:

grldtnr

I always did a right 'leg over' onto my bikes, sometimes with a scooting start. But since having a 40cm. pin in my right femur after a crash, I'm more cautious about doing it, as I no longer have the flexibility to achieve it each time. And going down like a sack of tatties, bike and all, isn't my preferred way of starting a ride - ! :laugh:
Same here, I have been pinned too, I find life on the recumbent more comfy, but wetting up is a struggle!

simongt

Guru
wetting up, is also a struggle!
Advantage of a mesh seat - ? :rofl:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Made a mental note yesterday. Stand to left, lean bike towards me, left pedal at 12 o'clock, right leg over saddle, pull right pedal up to 12 o'clock, clip in and push.

Usually a static mount, with right foot clipped in
Maybe a slight push from the left, or more often, clipping the left in, as I move off

Dismounts; they depend on where
Some, are done 'CX style', with the right foot unclipped, & passing between the left leg & crank, to touch the ground first
As it touches the ground, the left is unclipped & a normal walking motion commences

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW2ju6fI8Vw

Mike_P

Guru
I am very strongly handed, so I always put my right foot down when stopping, which means that I am always in the wrong side for dismounting.
Same - did occur to me how problematic it would have been to have put my left foot down today as I realised I could carefully get pass a queue of vehicles on the inside of a relatively narrow road (ie no sensible overtake option) by moving the bike forward with my right foot pushing on the ground so ensuring no collision of pedal with a car side. Despite being right footed my right foot does not get on with normal spd cleats so I use a quick release on the right shoe and a normal cleat on the left which enforces the right foot off first.

Drago

Legendary Member
Did it occur to you how problematic it might be if you took a fall with the right on the floor when you invariably fall into the traffic?

Not knocking Mike here, more a general observation. People wear lids and hi vis in the name of safety, and then merrily go against safety with unsafe riding practices.

Mike_P

Guru
Has that actually ever happended - if your right foot in heading to the floor that is sufficient to stop any tumble to the right. Conversely as I found last year if the camber on the road is weird you can still tumble over but to the left.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom