How early are you out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
In summer I am quite often out at 3am. Its getting light within the hour. The plan is to get 80-100km in before a bakery for breakfast.

If I was out at that time I honestly wouldn't see the point in going to bed. When it was hot last year I did consider the idea of going out until the early hours and then coming home to bed at 3 or 4am. Didn't do it though. This summer hardly any days when it has been hot enough to bother really.

I’m up sooooo early ( far earlier than everyone else, evvverrrr) I’m actually up at a time that only exists in the personal black hole / worm hole I create every day, just to be able to wave the proverbial at strangers on an Internet forum.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Bloody hell this thread is making me feel realy lazy. I don't even get up before 7 for work. Mind you never in bed before midnight.
I quite agree with staying in bed if it's a weekday/workday. A 4am ride is a weekend pleasure only.

Why get up early for work?

Reactions: C R

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If I was out at that time I honestly wouldn't see the point in going to bed. When it was hot last year I did consider the idea of going out until the early hours and then coming home to bed at 3 or 4am. Didn't do it though. This summer hardly any days when it has been hot enough to bother really.
I am quite often up at 3 am to get to work by 4am. 5 hours is a good nights sleep for me.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Why get up early for work?

If I'm not on the road by 06:00 then I don't get into the office until after 8:00 which means I have to stay until 05:00 pm when the motorways are even worse and I mightn't get home until 07:30 p,m. So I get up early, get in the office early, which means I can leave early and at least have a couple of hours of home time, before going to bed and doing it all again. Roll on retirement!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's turned into the Four Yorkshireman thread this.
Quite

My little cycling group always wants an 8am start on weekends and, whilst I put up with it, it's too early

8 start means breakfast no later than 7 so up at 6.30. it's the weekend FFS

Down to me on a solo ride and it's about 9.30 start if I can be arsed to get out of bed

I only aim to get out early on some Sundays and early is 9ish, although I did get out for 8 the other day and to counteract that, last Sunday I just reached out and switched the alarm off and thought fark it, I'll ride tomorrow.

Whatever time I get up I have to add an hour on to feed and water the dog, the dog I never wanted and who everyone else in the family said they'd look after, that dog.

Johnno260

Veteran
Days I do a full commute I leave the house before 6am more out of preference, less traffic, and I can enjoy my cycling and the scenery.

If I'm on a leisure ride it's still before 6am for the same reasons above, I then put the bike in the boot and do a partial commute.

Weekends the earlier the better it means I can do more miles and I miss the worst of the heat in the summer.

Dave7

Legendary Member
For leisure rides rather than the necessity of commuting?
Im only a casual rider going out once a week but I love getting out there at 6am or just before on Saturday or Sunday to be on the roads when they are mostly empty. Country lanes alone are brilliant. Thing is I dont see many other roadies until about 8am, and then there are loads of them heading into the country lanes from the main road out of town at about 9am, just as I am heading home.
Mrs RoadRider400 calls me a moron for getting up at 5:30, maybe she has a point.
:tired:
My first thought on reading this was.....how is it possible for anyone to get up at 5.30 and be out by 6.00 :eek:. It takes me at least 90 minutes to do ablutions, breckie and shower etc.

Top Bottom