How early are you out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RoadRider400

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
My first thought on reading this was.....how is it possible for anyone to get up at 5.30 and be out by 6.00 :eek:. It takes me at least 90 minutes to do ablutions, breckie and shower etc.

I only chuck a bit of cold water over my face on the morning of a ride. No point having a shower seeing as im about to cycle 30-50 miles on my own. I shower afterwards.
The bike, clothing and anything I need to take with me are set out with military precision the night before.
30 minutes to have breakfast, get dressed, sort bag and water bottles, brush teeth and get out the door is plenty for me

Dave7

Legendary Member
I only chuck a bit of cold water over my face on the morning of a ride. No point having a shower seeing as im about to cycle 30-50 miles on my own. I shower afterwards.
The bike, clothing and anything I need to take with me are set out with military precision the night before.
30 minutes to have breakfast, get dressed, sort bag and water bottles, brush teeth and get out the door is plenty for me
And what about 3 mandatory visits to the bog ?

For leisure rides rather than the necessity of commuting?
Im only a casual rider going out once a week but I love getting out there at 6am or just before on Saturday or Sunday to be on the roads when they are mostly empty. Country lanes alone are brilliant. Thing is I dont see many other roadies until about 8am, and then there are loads of them heading into the country lanes from the main road out of town at about 9am, just as I am heading home.
Mrs RoadRider400 calls me a moron for getting up at 5:30, maybe she has a point.
:tired:

When I'm on my own I tend to leave early. Especially at weekends and holidays in summer there are lots of cyclists out on the cycleways and after nine or ten the routes near Stuttgart fill up with cyclists of wildly different abilities, speeds and attitudes to who has the 'right' to be on the cycleways so I try to get a good 20k between me and the city by then. I've noticed that it thins out very quickly at about that point which makes me wonder how far the 'serious' bike riders actually ride...

Last edited:

Nebulous

Guru
My first thought on reading this was.....how is it possible for anyone to get up at 5.30 and be out by 6.00 :eek:. It takes me at least 90 minutes to do ablutions, breckie and shower etc.

I can be up at 5.50 and out by 6, if I have everything looked out and my tyres are pumped up the night before. I do a couple of hours then breakfast and shower when I come back.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
And then there’s the Audax lot. No such thing as waking up because they haven’t been asleep in the first place. Or it’s up at 2,3,4 or 5am to go riding hundreds of miles around the country in search of cake and some stamps in their brevet cards.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I’m usually up between 0300-0400 on my day off (Sunday). A quick cuppa, some porridge, and I’m out of the door within 30 minutes of waking.

Fantastic quiet roads, some quality ‘me’ time, and home by the time the rest of the family are waking.

hoopdriver

Guru
I’m usually out the door by around 0415 I’ve always been an early riser but I especially like being out on my bicycle at that hour. It’s easier getting up at 4 during the summer months when the sky is getting lighter, but I get up and out at that time during the winter too.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I generally don't get up early for rides, unless it's a competition. However, since we have had VERY hot days....I have got up at 5:15am the last two Mondays to take my dog trail running at the woods.....I get there around 6am and then I have until 7:30am to run before it gets to warm....usual guidelines for dogs are combined temperature and humidity, on a fancy scale thing....very technical! haha!

Top Bottom