How high is your saddle compared to your bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have my bars as high as possible as after 25/35 miles my neck starts to sieze up (its age).
On Saturday my ride took me to Arley Hall where I got talking to a guy that was maybe 6' 2"......maybe more.
He was on a Giant TCR and his saddle must have been 10" higher than his bars. I had to comment on it and his answer was "It was one inch less till my bike fit yesterday and they raised it".
I am no expert but it just looked wrong.
My thought was, surely he needs a bigger frame.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
3 1/4" on mine... but it is an MTB

is the guy you mention trying to achieve a horizontal body position, for aerodynamics maybe??

vickster

Legendary Member
See avatar. Saddle higher than bars. Long legs, shorter torso

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
Road bike, hybrid & ebikes level
Folder..... bars an inch or two higher than the seat, to make the fold simpler.

vickster

Legendary Member
Honestly that is nothing compared to his. I understand "long legs" although I only have 29" but surely there comes a point when logic says.....bigger frame.
Presumably it’s a very compact frame set?

If I had a bigger frame, I’d need a much shorter stem. As it is on 54cm frames, I do only have 100mm (5’9.5, 33-34” inside leg)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends on the bike - but the saddle is anything from 3-8" higher. On my NeilPryde Nazare the saddle was 9-10" last year but I've changed the crankset for one with longer crank arms, which has dropped the saddle height a bit.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
3 1/4" on mine... but it is an MTB

is the guy you mention trying to achieve a horizontal body position, for aerodynamics maybe??
Cant answer that as I only spoke for a minute but it would have been more than horizontal

si_c

Guru
I'm a tad over 6'5" and the saddle to bar drop depends on the bike, but it's around 5" lower - so about 10" to the bottom of the drops. I actually spend a lot of time on the drops compared to the hoods.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have my bars as high as possible as after 25/35 miles my neck starts to sieze up (its age).
On Saturday my ride took me to Arley Hall where I got talking to a guy that was maybe 6' 2"......maybe more.
He was on a Giant TCR and his saddle must have been 10" higher than his bars. I had to comment on it and his answer was "It was one inch less till my bike fit yesterday and they raised it".
I am no expert but it just looked wrong.
My thought was, surely he needs a bigger frame.
Are you sure that it didn't just look that way because of a sloping top tube?

Here are two of my bikes, which have the same riding position. (The singlespeed now has some of the spacers moved to above the stem so the bars are 1.5 cms lower.)

CAADX with SKS Longboards and rack.jpg

Singlespeed Specialized Allez.jpg

si_c

Guru
Are you sure that it didn't just look that way because of a sloping top tube?

Here are two of my bikes, which have the same riding position. (The singlespeed now has some of the spacers moved to above the stem so the bars are 1.5 cms lower.)

View attachment 473452

View attachment 473453
Also a possibility - for reference mine looks like the below - although the aerobars have been removed now.

Edit to add: that's a 400mm seatpost with about 350mm showing.

WVCrQz8yO0lIugNQ1rpTggYSGZowQ3z2UxyFj1QqcjOafxmF0XUUxIppdkIp-CsYC5O-_rJ4wCVLAdUpGY=w1012-h759-no.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
600mm seat post anyone:laugh:

Mine are all set up for pedal performance, but at 5'8 they tend to be about level.

Must be a height thing as the 6+ footers need the seat height, frames dont seem to grow in proportion.

Bit like buying clothes, why does a size 42 jacket maker assume its for 6 foot tall people and a 32 waist gets 33 leg??
:banghead:

Top Bottom