How high is your saddle compared to your bars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
5F827E05-5229-49AF-980D-1B6A1D947E01.jpeg

Textima track bike always looks very uncomfortable

View attachment 473676

Textima track bike always looks very uncomfortable
I believe the rider uses their nose as a brake.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm a tad over 6'5" and the saddle to bar drop depends on the bike, but it's around 5" lower - so about 10" to the bottom of the drops. I actually spend a lot of time on the drops compared to the hoods.
I'm 'only' 1.86 m (6'1") tall. I have 10 cm (4") from saddle to top of bars, and 23 cm (9") to drops so that sounds a similar setup, with a smidge off for my more diminutive proportions! :laugh:

I was fairly comfortable on the drops until I put some weight on over the winter. I now have a small roll of fat in the way when I bend forwards. It wouldn't be a big deal with bibshorts, but the waistband and belt on my Endura Humvees (<--- see avatar picture) tend to make their presence uncomfortably obvious.

si_c

Guru
I'm 'only' 1.86 m (6'1") tall. I have 10 cm (4") from saddle to top of bars, and 23 cm (9") to drops so that sounds a similar setup, with a smidge off for my more diminutive proportions! :laugh:

I was fairly comfortable on the drops until I put some weight on over the winter. I now have a small roll of fat in the way when I bend forwards. It wouldn't be a big deal with bibshorts, but the waistband and belt on my Endura Humvees (<--- see avatar picture) tend to make their presence uncomfortably obvious.
Yup, most of my riding at the moment is done in dress trousers and a shirt - I've put on a bit since January, and it's certainly noticeable on the drops :ohmy:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Mine varies depending on the bike. I'm 185cm tall and ride bikes in the 56cm to 61cm range but I tend to prefer small frames than riding big garden gates. My 56cm My Brian Rourke is my most 'aggressive' with seat to bar drop of about 5-6 inches to top of bars and about 11-12 inches to the drops. I'm closer to 50 than 40 in age and have done hilly centuries on this bike, so I'm still flexible enough for now.
XEzJu4u.jpg

My made to measure bike is set up with a low stem and a drop of about 3 inches to the tops of bars and about 8 inches to the drops, and my other 5 road bikes have measurements inbetween those two bikes, but I guess that reflects my riding style, which is speed focused when riding, allowing more time for rehydrating afterwards:cheers:

rivers

How far can I go?
I've got about 3-4 inches of difference

image.jpeg
I have my bars as high as possible as after 25/35 miles my neck starts to sieze up (its age).
On Saturday my ride took me to Arley Hall where I got talking to a guy that was maybe 6' 2"......maybe more.
He was on a Giant TCR and his saddle must have been 10" higher than his bars. I had to comment on it and his answer was "It was one inch less till my bike fit yesterday and they raised it".
I am no expert but it just looked wrong.
My thought was, surely he needs a bigger frame.
Sorry to divert from the main point, but one of Cheshire's finest houses

Sharky

Guru
Approx 5 1/2 ins. Saddle higher than top of bars.

Cranks are short (150mm) allowing a higher saddle.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
With mine it varies due to the differing sizes of the head tubes over the bikes.

I've just done some comparisons and on the six road & flat bar bikes the centre of the crank to top of the saddle is fairly consistant at around 79cm, however the measurement from the fork crown to the top of the steerer goes from 24cm up to 29cm (there's a 5mm spacer above the stem, then the top cap on all of them).

Measured vertically from the floor they range from 105cm to 107cm to the top of the sadddle and 93cm to 103cm to the bars.

si_c

Guru
With mine it varies due to the differing sizes of the head tubes over the bikes.

I've just done some comparisons and on the six road & flat bar bikes the centre of the crank to top of the saddle is fairly consistant at around 79cm, however the measurement from the fork crown to the top of the steerer goes from 24cm up to 29cm (there's a 5mm spacer above the stem, then the top cap on all of them).

Measured vertically from the floor they range from 105cm to 107cm to the top of the sadddle and 93cm to 103cm to the bars.
What's the bottom bracket height?

Top Bottom