How I Broke My Ankle...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigGee

Thats bad luck Andrew, unfortunately the old adage that it is never difficult to fall off your bike still hold true.

On the slightly more positive side the fibula as you so rightly said is the non weight bearing leg bone and so consequently is one of the better bones in your body to break, especially below the waist. I broke the same bone after being knocked over the handlebars by a hit and run driver many years ago and I was getting back to normal after six weeks or so. Hopefully you will be back up and running before to long as well.

I am sure it feels annoying and sore at the moment but the main thing is that you have come away with all other faculties intact. Bones will heel and you'll be back on the bike in no time.

GWS

Night Train

Maker of Things
Get well soon Andrew. Nice of the neighbour and driver to help out.:thumbsup:
I remember many years ago seeing a chap, having a clipless moment, fall sideways onto the road when he stopped. I went out to help and to look after his bike while he went to A&E. He fractured his hip and it was a long time before he was riding again.

With a ruptured Achillie's Tendon and broken toe I can sympathise with your time off the bike.

So sorry to read this. Wishing you a very, very speedy recovery.

Mice

OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
Thank you. It's difficult to understate how uplifting your support is when you're stuck on your own unable to get anywhere.

I don't know what caused the off - I had noticed some diesel/oil earlier, but not there. It was raining, but I've tackled that road before in wet conditions without incident. I probably just misjudged things and turned to avoid a bump a little too sharply.But I didn't have the opportunity (or inclination!) to conduct a forensic examination of the road surface at the time...

According to the doctor, I've broken the tip of the fibula at the ankle - but he was muttering something about the talus, the bone underneath "not looking quite normal". I've to go back tomorrow for more investigations once the swelling's gone down. Wish me luck!

Get well soon Andrew. Nice of the neighbour and driver to help out.:thumbsup:
I remember many years ago seeing a chap, having a clipless moment, fall sideways onto the road when he stopped. I went out to help and to look after his bike while he went to A&E. He fractured his hip and it was a long time before he was riding again.

With a ruptured Achillie's Tendon and broken toe I can sympathise with your time off the bike.

Ruptured Achillie's, Night Train? Ouch, that's nasty. How did that happen? And heal quickly!

Night Train

Maker of Things
Ruptured Achillie's, Night Train? Ouch, that's nasty. How did that happen? And heal quickly!
Cheers.:thumbsup:

It was not on a bike.

I had spent a couple of weeks lifting heavy coping stones for a wall I was rebuilding, putting a cut up car onto a trailer to scrap, and loading big logs for fire wood to deliver to a friend.
Then, one evening, the tendon went POP while walking up the stairs.
Following advice from the good folks at YACF (NHS Direct was busy) I went to A&E and got plastered up for the night. The next morning I was properly inspected and plastered up again. I then fell over, when the crutches slipped in the rain, when I got home and broke my toe on the same leg.
I am now in a Beckham boot until mid August and then physio. It could be the end of the year before I am back to near full strength. It will never be 100% though due to the location of the rupture. Not sure when I will be able to walk unaided, never mind ride, again but hopefully before we get into the depths of winter.

OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
Cheers.:thumbsup:

It was not on a bike.

I had spent a couple of weeks lifting heavy coping stones for a wall I was rebuilding, putting a cut up car onto a trailer to scrap, and loading big logs for fire wood to deliver to a friend.
Then, one evening, the tendon went POP while walking up the stairs.
Following advice from the good folks at YACF (NHS Direct was busy) I went to A&E and got plastered up for the night. The next morning I was properly inspected and plastered up again. I then fell over, when the crutches slipped in the rain, when I got home and broke my toe on the same leg.
I am now in a Beckham boot until mid August and then physio. It could be the end of the year before I am back to near full strength. It will never be 100% though due to the location of the rupture. Not sure when I will be able to walk unaided, never mind ride, again but hopefully before we get into the depths of winter.

You don't do things by half, NT!

Tendons are damn slow things at healing,aren't they?

Top Bottom