How I Broke My Ankle...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My temporary cast was a very boring white, but I've now got this boot-like affiar with straps instead - they've decided my ankle's still too swollen so I need to be applying ice packs to reduce the swelling.

And the orthopedic registrar now thinks I may have done more damage after all and has ordered a CT scan to find out. Deep joy! All this nice weather, at last, and I can't get out and enjoy it. Aaargh!!
Ah forget cycling, hobble to garden with Kindle. Lie back, relax and toast!!

GWS mate.

Night Train

Maker of Things
My temporary cast was a very boring white, but I've now got this boot-like affiar with straps instead - they've decided my ankle's still too swollen so I need to be applying ice packs to reduce the swelling.

And the orthopedic registrar now thinks I may have done more damage after all and has ordered a CT scan to find out. Deep joy! All this nice weather, at last, and I can't get out and enjoy it. Aaargh!!
Is it one of these things?
DSC_0488.jpg

I had the option of cast colour. The first one was a temporary plaster cast in white but the second one I asked for in black as either of the red or blue options would tie me to one of the local footie teams here.

I am walking, in a fashion, now for very short distances without sticks but have only managed about 380m with two sticks as my personal best at the weekend.

OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
1949496 said:
And is it good for Imperial Stormtrooper impressions?

I don't recall many Imperial Stormtroopers on crutches... but I'll let you know.
Is it one of these things?
DSC_0488.jpg

I had the option of cast colour. The first one was a temporary plaster cast in white but the second one I asked for in black as either of the red or blue options would tie me to one of the local footie teams here.

I am walking, in a fashion, now for very short distances without sticks but have only managed about 380m with two sticks as my personal best at the weekend.

Yeap, very similar to that. It's got little air baldders that you inflate to ensure it fits more securely - how cool is that?

I imagine your ankle's going to be quite stiff after being immobilised for so long. Will they give you physiotherapy to help loosen things up?

Night Train

Maker of Things
Yep, air bladders in mine too. I think I also get to keep the boot, or so another patient told me last time.

After the first three weeks with it on 23 1/2 hours a day I found I couldn't move it at all, as if the nerves had stopped transmitting. Now I have had 3 weeks of taking the boot of for an hour or two and slowly getting some movement back. I don't know if I am doing it right but I probably have about 50% of the flexibility back and a tiny amount of strength.
I am back in for a check up tomorrow but no idea about any formal physiotherapy. I can imagine the strength will take a very long time to regain. I still get a fair amount of pain after walking with the boot on and doing strength exercises.

How are you doing with yours? Do you have anything you need to do and manage or do you have to wait for the CT scan results?
I hope it is good news.

OP
OP
Wobblers

Wobblers

Euthermic
The only thing I've been told to do is apply ice packs to my ankle. It seems to have worked: the swelling's gone down a lot. The only thing I've found is that the boot presses directly on the fracture site whenever I have my foot up - which means I've spent a fair amount of time with it off because I need to keep my foot elevated and it feels like the boot's trying to twist my ankle whenever I do so. I'll have to speak to the orthpedic consultant about that.But the fracture is stable, at least.

How long have you been in a cast? After a couple of weeks the ligaments and tendons tend to tighten up. It's no wonder you're finding walking something of an effort! It'll get better. Once you regain mobility in your ankle, you ought to be able to build muscle strength back up quite quickly.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Not good if the boot is not supporting your ankle in the right place. There must be a way to realign your foot in the boot so that it supports without twisting or applying pressure where you don't want it. They do have pads and inserts that change the angle and position of your foot within the boot. I find with mine I sometimes have to mess with it a lot so that it is comfortable both upright and horizontal.
I found the worse pressure sore area was the second strap from the toe, in the apex of the boot over my foot. That one keeps my heel in the boot but also rubs on the top of my foot. The one over the toes can't be tightened either due to it pressing on my broken toe.

How long have you been in a cast? After a couple of weeks the ligaments and tendons tend to tighten up. It's no wonder you're finding walking something of an effort! It'll get better. Once you regain mobility in your ankle, you ought to be able to build muscle strength back up quite quickly.
I have had a cast for a week and then the boot for six weeks so far.
I had a check up yesterday and the consultant didn't offer much more then 'carry on as you were'. I now have another six weeks in the boot but also a physiotherapy appointment in the pipeline.

I am (still) removing the boot for an hour or two, as I have been doing for the last three weeks, to move and flex my foot.
The flexibility is improving but I don't want to work too much on the strength without a Physio's advice in case I cause any damage. In the meantime I need to be careful of over stressing my other leg.

The best advance so far is being able to stand on both legs, with the boot on, as it not only gains me a leg back but also both arms so I can I hobble and shuffle while carrying tea across the room.

Top Bottom