How important is cake ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Whetherspoons do a good one.:okay:
With free coffee refills. What's not to like.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Read a book recently about some S African ancients cycle touring in Germany. They reckoned to do about 28 km per litre -- of beer. There was the odd snifter of brandy if feeling a bit tired at the beer stops.

Our one is really cycle friendly :okay: Had a cycle do there and they set out a large area for us. Great place.
That does sound good. I do use them as pubs. But I do think the local independent cafe is something that should be cherished. A decent caf with a proper full English is better than a restaurant at 10 times the price.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That does sound good. I do use them as pubs. But I do think the local independent cafe is something that should be cherished. A decent caf with a proper full English is better than a restaurant at 10 times the price.
A proper full English, in a good restaurant, with quality linens and flatware, is worth every penny extra. The full English, is, after all, an invention of the country house.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cake is more important than a carbon, Di2 roadbike and is almost as important as ice cream. If I didn't know ice cream was waiting for me at the halfway stage today. I would never have got there.
Milkshakes. Made with Hansens ice cream and full fat milk. And an espresso on the side.

I miss Denmark already.

A proper full English, in a good restaurant, with quality linens and flatware, is worth every penny extra. The full English, is, after all, an invention of the country house.
I know. But there's not many meals you can get in small villages/towns as easily as a cafe breakfast. We'll lose that to dreadful chain pubs unless some effort is made.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The fact it's a huge chain and not an independent.

They do reasonably priced, good food, good coffee, good beer, no loud music, usually very clean and friendly staff that are welcoming to cyclists. I don't care they are a chain.
If you were to limit yourselves to non chain pubs then you will have the smallest of choices of venues to choose from. If you are lucky.

Top Bottom