How long before a hosepipe ban?

• Tomorrow

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Next week

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Bleh! I’ll still use it anyway. My bike needs to be clean and shiny

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Just checked North West Water and apparently the reserviors are at 64% regionally, which is lower than last year, and less than I expected. Given however that we've had summer and now should be entering warm drizzle season I don't see any reason to be to worried about a hose pipe ban.

That being said I'm planning a rain water capture system for the garage, I want to store most of the water in a set of water butts, hopefully around 600L or so, that and a small pump powered by solar should mean I can use a hosepipe to water the garden/wash the bike/whatever Mrs C wants entirely with grey water.

We're on a water meter though now which is one consideration, but also Mrs C decided she wanted a fancy tap in the kitchen which means I no longer have anywhere to attach a hose to anyway.

D

Deleted member 26715

That being said I'm planning a rain water capture system for the garage, I want to store most of the water in a set of water butts, hopefully around 600L or so, that and a small pump powered by solar should mean I can use a hosepipe to water the garden/wash the bike/whatever Mrs C wants entirely with grey water.

Are you sure about that, I seem to remember a case from a previous ban where a guy had had bath & then instead of running the water down the drain he syphoned it down a hosepipe & watered his garden with it, he was still prosecuted.

si_c

Guru
Are you sure about that, I seem to remember a case from a previous ban where a guy had had bath & then instead of running the water down the drain he syphoned it down a hosepipe & watered his garden with it, he was still prosecuted.

I'm pretty sure you can use a water butt as the source for a hose provided that it cannot be refilled from a mains source, so a separate system would be fine. I'll double check it though.

It wouldn't surprise me though if in the instance you recall that it wasn't just grey water being used as the source for watering.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm pretty sure you can use a water butt as the source for a hose provided that it cannot be refilled from a mains source, so a separate system would be fine. I'll double check it though.

It wouldn't surprise me though if in the instance you recall that it wasn't just grey water being used as the source for watering.

I think the issue with the bath as you say it's mains connected, so logically you could fill the bath, not have a bath with the sole intention of using the water in the garden, I can't remember the full facts of the case.

I suppose it's down to what is on the ban, if it's a 'hosepipe' ban, then potentially the source of the water could be irrelevant however illogical this is

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could chuck the bath water out of the window onto the lawn - I have done that in the past. My lawns are looking like the desert and I live in rainy Manchester.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I wonder how long it will be before they put up the cost of water. Every body else is jumping on the band wagon, probably to do with the war in Ukraine, like everything else. Before the war started, I never realised how important Ukraine was on the world scale.

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will be before they put the cost of water. Every body else is jumping on the band wagon, probably to do with the war in Ukraine, like everything else. Before the war started, I never realised how important Ukraine was on the world scale.

I for one will ask my MP to NOT support the UK buying more of it's water from Russia OR Ukraine.

Meanwhile, I'm reading that England is having it's driest year since 1976. oh hang on, here's the actual stat:
"The period between January and June this year was the driest in England since 1976, the Met Office has said"

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I haven't got a garden, but I was forgetting that I sometimes use a hose to clean my bike in my back yard. I will switch to using a bucket of water instead until the reservoirs have filled again.

I know a few chuck their bikes in reservoirs and canals to clean their bikes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know a few chuck their bikes in reservoirs and canals to clean their bikes.

I was reminding a mate recently of one edition of the Rossendale Mountain Bike Challenge that we rode together. We got directed over a former landfill site which was being landscaped. It had been capped with thick clay and grass had not yet had the time to grow over it...

I ended up throwing my bike into a deep puddle and leaving it to soak for a few minutes while I found something to scrape the mud off with!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You could chuck the bath water out of the window onto the lawn - I have done that in the past. My lawns are looking like the desert and I live in rainy Manchester.

Mines lush and green lol…….and just been freshly cut too

Stephenite

Membå
I was reminding a mate recently of one edition of the Rossendale Mountain Bike Challenge that we rode together. We got directed over a former landfill site which was being landscaped. It had been capped with thick clay and grass had not yet had the time to grow over it...

I think i remember that. 1998-ish?

D

Deleted member 26715

I've just used my hose pipe to give my fish a drink

Top Bottom