How long before a hosepipe ban?

• Tomorrow

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Next week

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Bleh! I’ll still use it anyway. My bike needs to be clean and shiny

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Oslo area is also looking at a hosepipe ban in the near future.

The main reservoir is at 68% full. Or 32% empty, if you like.

I do my (little) bit. We have a kitchen sink with two basins - a normal size one and a small one. In the small one we have a watering can which we use to capture 'spare' water gained when emptying the kettle in the morning, or running the tap waiting for the water to run cold, etc. This goes to water the plants and rinsing dishes, mostly, and we still have more than we know what do with.

Stephenite

Membå
It must have been the early 2000s in my case because I had timed the purchase of my mountain bike perfectly to coincide with the UK bridleway bans for the 2001 foot-and-mouth outbreak. It was about 6 months before I got the chance to ride it offroad!

I left for more northerly climes in 2001. I moved into student accomodation on an agricultural university i found myself quarantined for three days :dry:

But, i seem to remember one of these rides where if you went off the rubble and mud track you'd get into a very sticky mess.

I might confusing different memories though.

In any year in our garden plants in pots are watered in dry spells using a watering can, but anything in the ground has to take its chances. This year is no different and the lawn is not looking very green at the moment, even the moss :blush:, but it will survive..it always does. I don't grow vegetables so no issue there.

In the past I've attached a hose to the the outpipe from the bathrooms to a water butt and will probably do that soon for for the plant pots.

There's no need to wash the bike or the cars in the dry weather, other than the car windscreen. They'll all survive.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
1659002253726.png

D

Deleted member 26715

*issed down here all night and has been drizzling all morning.

More rain due tonight too.

Lawns are sodden and we are unable to cut them at the moment.

But we do need it, we're currently having to supplement the nags with hay, which should not be heard of in July, also suspect there will be price hike for bales this winter, blaming poor crops & fuel prices.

D

Deleted member 26715

We might not have a ban but they have turned the pressure right down, it's relatively trickling out of the tap in comparison to how it normally is,

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No ban here in Hamtun,yet, but I only use the hosepipe for watering the pots (of which I have quite a few!) If there is a ban, I'll use my watering can instead.
The lawn is a crispy shade of yellow but will soon come back once we have a bit of rain. I don't bother with a hose and sprinkler..

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
The last time there was such an emergency was in 1976.

The Labour Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, appointed a Minister for Drought, Denis Howell, and he ordered him to do a rain dance on behalf of the nation.

By chance, or through heavenly intervention, two days later it started bucketing down.

Ahh we had sensible people in power back then, didn't we :okay:

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm waiting for Boris's speech asking us all to be careful about our water usage, all whilst he's stood at the side of his swimming pools hose in hand.

I see some areas have told people that there will be hosepipe bans in a few weeks. What's the point of that ? You'll just get people splurging on water use whilst they can.

Top Bottom