How long before a hosepipe ban?

• Tomorrow

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Next week

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Bleh! I’ll still use it anyway. My bike needs to be clean and shiny

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Does anyone actually water their lawn these days.
I haven’t seen a sprinkler for years unless it watering new turf.
I guess hot tubs and these new massive paddling pools are the new sprinklers.

simongt

Guru
According to Anglian Water today, as their reserviors are 80% full, in their region, a hosepipe ban is unlikely. :rolleyes:
And East Anglia is by historical record, the driest area of the country - ! ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't got a garden, but I was forgetting that I sometimes use a hose to clean my bike in my back yard. I will switch to using a bucket of water instead until the reservoirs have filled again.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I haven’t seen a sprinkler for years unless it watering new turf.
I guess hot tubs and these new massive paddling pools are the new sprinklers.

My next door neighbour does. His sprinkler was on none stop, 24/7 for the two weeks before, and including, the two day summer.

Not sure we have a water shortage in this area. Northumbria Water built Kielder Reservoir (around 1980, I think). It was planned in the 60's to service (then) booming industry, including, Steel Works. Industry then closed, so, we have 200billion litres of the stuff. There are some rather good cycling trails around the reservoir. Every cloud and all that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

There's a guy around the corner from me, he furtively waters his front lawn before 7am each morning, I see him each morning as I ride past, but he seems to try to seek shelter behind the car or the big bush he has in the garden. Not sure why as if you just look at his grass it's a nice green colour all his neighbours are burnt yellow or brown, it's obvious he's watering it.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We live in a very dry area.
most people i know are on water meters now, so watering a lawn is expensive and pointless.
My lawn currently looks like the savanna.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Annoying that hosepipe bans also apply to watering of FOOD at allotments.

you need water butts, and plenty of them. :okay:

Milzy

Guru
Why don’t we just harvest water like it’s law to in Australia. Some companies will get rich & it will create more jobs. Kingspan could help.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Why don’t we just harvest water like it’s law to in Australia. Some companies will get rich & it will create more jobs. Kingspan could help.

What do you do with the harvested water?
Retro fitting plumbing to flush the toilets would be a good idea but it would cost mega money.
Using potable water to flush toilets and water gardens always seems like a waste to me.

gbb

Legendary Member
it'd be interesting to see Rutland Water, i used to go there modestly often and have seen the waters edge waaaay off when levels have been low. As up post, Anglian Water have managed well this year so far, no imminent bans here apparently.
My lawn is green and fairly verdant, 8ft paddling pool has been emptied twice onto it...plus its shaded enough to protect it from the worst exposure.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
What do you do with the harvested water?
Retro fitting plumbing to flush the toilets would be a good idea but it would cost mega money.
Using potable water to flush toilets and water gardens always seems like a waste to me.

I watched a thing on youtube about a US city that has built a second system to use the water output from sewage farms to use for irrigation and toilet flushing etc.
I agree with you about using potable water for such things is madness really.

Top Bottom