How long before a hosepipe ban?

• Tomorrow

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Next week

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Bleh! I’ll still use it anyway. My bike needs to be clean and shiny

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Severn Trent Water have stated there is no water shortage or prospect of one in this area although too many people using too much water apparently results in low pressure. I will carry on as normal. We had a lot of rain in the winter.

lane

Veteran
I voted for option 3 - although thinking about I can't really remember when I last washed the bike. It's very dusty. Probably wash when it rains.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not using 2 gallons of water to flush away half a pint of urine would save thousands of gallons.
Wasn’t it Ken Livingstone that said “If it’s brown, flush it down. If it’s yellow, let it mellow.”

lazybloke

Considering a new username
If it’s brown, flush it down. If it’s yellow, let it mellow.
Yuck. Dual flush is the way to go.

No sign of a ban here yet (borehole levels are still higher than usual). What bothers me is that hosepipe bans also apply to allotments :-(
Not sure if that's a nationwide thing or just SES Water.

Doubt we'll have any problems in the NW, reservoirs are still pretty full, and it'll rain soon enough.

I was up at Edgeworth Bolton about two weeks back, walked straight across Wayoh Reservoir as it was dry. Edgworth res itself is uphill from Wayoh and did have water in.

The last time we had a hose-pipe ban up here, people were up in arms because the car washes were still open... can't blame 'em really.

They do recycle and filter the water, I have known them turned off due to water shortages before though.

[QUOTE 5319312, member: 9609"]thought I would check out my local reservoir the night - seems pretty full, I won't feel guilty using the hose
View attachment 420127 View attachment 420128 [/QUOTE]

Is it the highest res in the chain? They usually take from the bottom ones first, leaving the top ones full as any overflow from the top res is caught by the ones lower down the chain rather than lost completely.

si_c

Guru
I was up at Edgeworth Bolton about two weeks back, walked straight across Wayoh Reservoir as it was dry. Edgworth res itself is uphill from Wayoh and did have water in.

I think UU hadn't updated their data when I last looked at it, lowest reservoir was at 75%ish, which I seem to recall thinking was pretty good. Haweswater and Thirlmere are now below 50%.

Would be nice if UU sorted their leaks out though, I think that's more of a problem than hosepipes.

True, I've taken to reporting any leaks I see, partly in the hope that it'll reduce water loss and make things better for everyone, but also partly in the hope they'll get fed up of me reporting the same issue every two weeks and fix it!

Bobario

Veteran
I went on a mountain bike ride round Calderdale yesterday that included a ride past 5 reservoirs. I did wonder why the higher ones were fuller and the lower ones were almost bone dry. Now I know why thanks to Blacksheep. Good job I haven't got a garden because I'd feel guilty about using a hosepipe now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I heard on the radio that hosepipe use is banned from the 5th of August,here in the north west. Last night i was out in the garden area here watering my palm tree when a chap (one of the local sees everything types) walked by and asked if i was using washing up or bathwater (imagine giving my palm tree dirty water:ohmy:. Perish the thought!:stop:)No i replied, as i pay water rates and use less than i'm billed for,so a watering can full isn't bad i added. He seems a bit obsessed about this supposed drought,telling me that he uses his bath and washing up water to flush his toilet. I bet he's also stocked up on dried foods thinking there might be a nuclear war.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
That doesn't matter, what happened was that most people heeded the shot across the bows and then cut down on garden watering even more after that rain.

My arrogant boss though still turns on his lawn sprinkler every evening and proudly showed me a photo of his nice green lawn.

Top Bottom