How many bikes do you have and which one is your favourite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have 2
Dawes Galaxy
Orbea hardtail

The Dawes is my favourite

10 at present:

Roadbikes (all steel except the Ribble (Carbon) and Giant (Alu)):
Ribble R872 (2015) used for Sportives, not ridden for two years.
Lombardia (1990), love it!
Bottecchia (1989), love it!
Pug (1985), love it!
Pug (1997), love it!
Giant (2006), not ridden for four years.

MTBs:
2 x Giants (2006 and 2008), neither ridden for "some time".

Fixed:
Mango cheapy thing, great fun!

Pub Bike:
B'Twin something or other (2014?), nicknamed the "Old Beast", go to bike for trips to shops, quick spin along coast path, any excuse really.

The Giants have to be kept for sentimental/emotional reasons, as belonged to my wife's late husband who was killed in a motorbike accident.

Guess which are my favourites :okay:, although definite soft spot for the Mango (my winter commute) and the "Old Beast". The '97 Pug is my summer commute, the other 80/90's steel framed beauties (built when bikes "looked right" IMHO, are fun, dry miles only).

Oh, and I have a 1970's BSA steel frame "project" in the bike shed.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Old Ribble - Riser bars, 34T chainring, 12-32T 7 speed and a rack, Pretty much my default bike.
New Ribble - flat bars, 50/34T chainset, 13-26T 8 speed and a rack, but I need to fix the indexing...
Dynatech 401Ti - drop bars, singlespeed 39/17 gearing and yes, a rack.
Brompton M12R - 50/34T and 13-16 on a BWR hub.
I have toured on all four of them.
I also have a cheap Chinese electric folder that I used for commuting in those happy pre-Covid days, and a hand-built 531ST that needs a rebuild (and probably a respray) that I've ridden in France, Austria, Germany, Belgium and Portugal.
Also a 1970s Carlton, an early 80s Raleigh Winner with 24" wheels, and a Mission 6 speed trike. They'll be up for sale eventually.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Raleigh Sojourn tourer, rebuilt from a wreck, probably a 2011.
Raleigh Competition G.S., currently rebuilding from a basement find in derelict condition, 1980 model.
Panasonic MC 2500, early rigid MTB built into a drop bar tourer, mid 1980s.
Schwinn Sierra MTB in black chrome from the early 80s, currently restoring
A Sun Seeker recumbent tricycle
A Schwinn Passage touring bike, soon to be given to the co-op to make space for a 2000's Trek Navigator 200.
Trek Navigator 200.
A Bianchi Squadra 1985.
A Trek 600 series, mid 1980's sport tourer.
A Falcon San Remo from 1971
A Falcon Olympic to be restored, maybe as a single speed
A fame for a Trek Elance, 1985, to be modernized one day.
If I have more than 500 USD invested in this entire collection, I would be surprised.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I have two. Road and Mountain.

My road bike:

Motobecane Sprintour with complete Ultegra kit. Stuck a Specialized Phenom Expert saddle on there and I'm all comfy. Pedals are Time ATAC Alium mountain bike pedals. No sense having to buy two sets of shoes.

IMG_0145.jpeg

My mountain bike:

Schwinn Mesa GSX. Marzocchi Bomber Z4 front fork. Shimano LX drivetrain. Titec bar, stem and seatpost and Rogue ODI Lock on grips. Sun Rhyno Lite rims. That's the original Scwhinn saddle but I just picked up another Specialized Phemom Expert and haven't put it on yet. And yep, the Time ATAC Alium pedals.

IMG_0743.jpeg

mustang1

Guru
6 owned. Super 6 is favourite because I got it cheap and also it's used the most. In addition it has cheaper components so my 2-year parts-replacements are cheap too. Needs a new saddle, has a stuck seatpost, probably needs new shifters, and horror of horrors, it has mismatched wheels, different colour outer cables, wouldn't mind getting new bar tape. Yet it soldiers on. Frame looks reasonable but with a couple of battle scars. Mechanically works good though and the drivetrain is always kept clean. That reminds me, I better change the brake pads soon.

Edit: it seems I phrased the above to imply only the super 6 was bought on the cheap but actually all bar one was.

Last edited:
Ooh! It's a bit difficult.
Nothing new .
A lot are old steel frames which I can swap components around from frame to frame according to how I feel .
A few of them were saved from being scrapped and so I rescued them .
I have a aluminium frame Carrera Vulcan which I welded up the splits in the steerer tube but has developed some more splits . Not sure if I will scrap it or not . It was fun to ride it in the snow ..
A Coventry Eagle convertible tandem. I managed to give it a test ride last year solo.
My favourite ride at the moment is my 1980 Raleigh Record Ace. Bought as a frame and fitted with Campag cranks , rear mech, brakes and hubs .It rides really well.
Most recent project is a Falcon Professional Frame, it won't be ready for a while . If it rides as well as my Black Diamond it will be well worth it.
Albion Cycles of Melksham . Saved from being binned. It was a slow hard ride until Fettled and fitted with allow wheels .
BSA Sportsman, another frame saved from being destroyed.
BSA Tour de France bought as a donor frame for parts.
Carlton Competition frame , the reason why I bought the BSA .
Carlton Kermesse 1980's version .
Carlton Clubman bought as a frame only .
Carlton Cobra frame. I fancied a nice shiny bike .
Dawes Double Blue mid 1960's . Couldn't resist it .
Dawes Shadow 25 inch a bit of a stretch . The only bike with mudguards .
Falcon Black Diamond bought in the 80's at a garage sale. It rides really well now with alloy bits .
Falcon Club Special bought as a frame . Needs working on.
Falcon Professional Frame. Present project .
Flying Scot bought as a frame at a car boot sale .
Holdsworth Record . The first bike I bought for myself new in 1971.
Raleigh Criterium Triathlon 12 , bought 2nd hand in the 80's. Another 25 inch frame , rides well though .
Raleigh Record Ace , bought as a frame only. My present favourite ride .
I may have a lot of frames but a lot of them use similar components which can be swapped around if and when needed . I also have a spare bike available if anything should happen .

6 owned. Super 6 is favourite because I got it cheap and also it's used the most. In addition it has cheaper components so my 2-year parts-replacements are cheap too. Needs a new saddle, has a stuck seatpost, probably needs new shifters, and horror of horrors, it has mismatched wheels, different colour outer cables, wouldn't mind getting new bar tape. Yet it soldiers on. Frame looks reasonable but with a couple of battle scars. Mechanically works good though and the drivetrain is always kept clean. That reminds me, I better change the brake pads soon.
Sounds great. What a bike should be. I'd try to sort the seatpost.

Top Bottom