How many fixed/ss riders do we have?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Tharg2007 said:
it wont, give it a couple of days.

I'd been riding fixed for ten to fifteen years before I had my first 'fixed moment'. There I was daydreaming away on a flat, straight road and suddenly I was in a heap on the floor. Highly embarrassing. That was probably ten years ago. It hasn't bitten since.

Sometimes I ride mostly fixed; sometimes - such as this year - I hardly touch it. One thing I never ever ride is a fixie. [cringe]

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I have fixie... except that it has a flip flop hub and it's on the freewheel side at the moment.

I use it for getting to work and back in the winter - less to get fouled up by all the salty water on the roads.

Single speed is a bit easier to handle when you're carrying panniers and there might be traffic.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've done around 1800 miles on SS this year. I have every intention of cracking the 2000 mark by the end of the year.

Ian H said:
One thing I never ever ride is a fixie. [cringe]

I heard this from someone else who has been around a bit longer than me, "My bike is fixed but I'm a fixie". What do you call yourself in front of others?

Also is fixed riding an age related thing? Those on fixed around here are for the most part under 40. Of the 7 riders on fixed 5 are all in their 30's and 2 are over 50. Certainly, two things stand out, they all have a smooth pedalling action and they are all strong.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
totallyfixed said:
I heard this from someone else who has been around a bit longer than me, "My bike is fixed but I'm a fixie". What do you call yourself in front of others?

Also is fixed riding an age related thing? Those on fixed around here are for the most part under 40. Of the 7 riders on fixed 5 are all in their 30's and 2 are over 50. Certainly, two things stand out, they all have a smooth pedalling action and they are all strong.

I'm an occasional fixed-wheeler, or I'll allow 'fixer', and I've been riding fixed on-and-off since sometime in the early 80s. Last year I rode mostly fixed and got a bit hyper.

Christopher

Über Member
i ride fixed in the winter, mainly to keep warm and for reliability, although I do like spinning along the local lanes on it.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Recent convert to fixed, now use it exclusively for commuting, sometimes for longer rides at the weekend, and all riding during the hours of darkness 'cos my dynohub is fitted to it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
totallyfixed said:
Congrats Ian, is that metres or feet climbed? Guessing metres.

I'd need to deconstruct that list somewhat. Four of the 600kms were on fixed, and five of the shorter events. The hilliest ones were on gears. The Hyper award is just for doing the four fixed 600s.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
totallyfixed said:

I'm 40. There are a couple of other guys who work here who also ride fixed to work; they're about my age.

Of course, it goes without saying that we're all smooth and strong...:biggrin:

Christopher

Über Member
43 here.
oh and another thing good re fixed: I can wear bulky mitts that keep my hands warm & dry, no need to change fiddly gears. It is easy to brake in the mitts too.

Top Bottom