How many fixed/ss riders do we have?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The reason I'm asking is that there seems to be fewer posts here than on other forums. Some reasons for this could be:
1. Less to go wrong
2. We are better riders :laugh:
3. Shy
4. We are boring bastards
5. We don't exist :biggrin:

I'm going for #1 [playing it safe :biggrin:]

Exactly how many of us are there? You don't have to be a full time fixie to qualify.

Tharg2007

Veteran
when you say there are fewer post on here than other forums do you mean fewer posts re fixed than other forums might have?

colinr

If you mean fewer posts on this forums as opposed to other CC forums, it's probably down to fixed/ss vs geared not being an issue.

Taking a random thread from beginners 'loose weight' [sic] - doesn't really matter if it's on fixed or not. Personally I'd say that 7 months of fixed has been the fastest fitness gain I've ever experienced but 'one gear that you can't stop pedalling' tends to scare new people :biggrin:

RedBike

Somehow i've ended up with just one gear on all my bikes.

I've still got a sort of love hate relationship with the fixie. I prefer riding fixed to SS but I just can't get to grips with going down the steep Derbyshire hills. If I lived somewhere flat I wouldn't ride anything else!

Tharg2007

Veteran
I think there's allot more people owning fixed bikes on here than a post count on the subject might indicate.
Also I think on here there is a larger amount of people with a fixed bike in addition to their geared bike where on another forum there might be a higher number of people who own a fixed as their only bike.
if that makes sense :biggrin:

yello

I ride fixed. I prefer it to geared. Why don't I post about it? Well, like fixed itself, you don't talk about it, you just do it!

Colinr has got it right methinks. Most of the posts are generic cycling ones, whether it's fixed, single speed or geared is not important.

I ride fixed most of the time.

As to the post count, I was thinking the same the other day and wondering if Admin was going to merge it back into SI like the video forum was merged into bikes & bits.

Greenbank

Über Member
There are a few fixed/ss specific forums (londonfgss.com for example).

I ride fixed for commuting, Audaxing, utility cycling, pretty much everything except stupidly hilly rides.

Auntie Helen said:
Perhaps because Joe24 got banned? :angry:
I guess for now that's one less of us :sad:
I do also ride a geared bike but it's not as much fun and I feel like I'm cheating but I won't touch it until late spring now and then only if it's really hilly. It's even worse when I'm out with others and someone else is riding fixed and I'm not :blush:.
I know CC is mostly generic questions etc but it would be fun to know for instance what fixed riding everyone has done, say at the weekends.
Speaking of which the fixed ride on Sunday 15th Nov is definitely on with refreshments at the end of the ride as well as in the middle. It's an easy ride, if you can join us please do.
Oh yeah, we [Mrs TF] did 53 miles on Saturday as Sunday looked decidedly iffy, stopped at Naseby battlefield site in the sun where we met another club, altogether about 20 cyclists with more arriving as we left, a good day.

PpPete

Legendary Member
colinr said:
'one gear that you can't stop pedalling' tends to scare new people :angry:

No kiddin' !

I've just joined the ranks ! literally JUST this morning. Finished bodging together my low-cost fixie about 11 am, and been out down the road on it for about 10 minutes.
Scared? I was crapping myself.....
What a weird feeling when after 40 years on freewheel equipped bikes that pedal comes up and tries to boot you over the handlebars:ohmy:.
This is going to take some getting used to...

Top Bottom