How many of you planning to ride Christmas Day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When not skiing we always ride Christmas Day morning and always see lots of people out walking, everyone says hello. It's good to work up an appetite for what is to come, I feel a bit less guilty. But only a bit.

So far, yes. It doesn't look like I'll have a chance to go up north to visit the fam for the holidays so I'll make my own fun.

Love to know what cold weather gear you use to cycle with as it can be a tad nippy where you are.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
There is only the 2 of us so we plan to go for a ride, not sure how long for as it depends on the weather. Probably right after we've taken the dogs for their Xmas morning walk.

Trail Child

Love to know what cold weather gear you use to cycle with as it can be a tad nippy where you are.

I do a lot of outside winter activities (snowshoeing, hiking, canal skating, running), so I have a wide variety of winter gear to choose from. I was actually born & raised farther north than Ottawa, so I don't actually wear a lot of the gear I have here. I find the secret is to not overdress and have available layers that you can take off or add as conditions change.

I have a lot of Lululemon, Sugoi Firewall, Descente, and Icebreaker merino base layers and just wind breaker pants & jackets. I cover the weak spots (hands, feet & neck) with hand knit merino. I use buffs on my ears. That has been perfect up to -35 to -40 c.

This is going to be the first winter i will be attempting biking all winter though. Already though I noticed that, although I love the traction I have from my beater mountain bike, gears are freezing & icing up, so I can see where a fixie or ss would come in handy.

RhythMick

Über Member
I wasn't but I am now. Good idea.

Staying in Exeter at a hired cottage so don't have to spend every minute with the in-laws. Biking the 12 miles out to Kennerleigh sounds like a fantastic idea.

I do a lot of outside winter activities (snowshoeing, hiking, canal skating, running), so I have a wide variety of winter gear to choose from. I was actually born & raised farther north than Ottawa, so I don't actually wear a lot of the gear I have here. I find the secret is to not overdress and have available layers that you can take off or add as conditions change.

I have a lot of Lululemon, Sugoi Firewall, Descente, and Icebreaker merino base layers and just wind breaker pants & jackets. I cover the weak spots (hands, feet & neck) with hand knit merino. I use buffs on my ears. That has been perfect up to -35 to -40 c.

This is going to be the first winter i will be attempting biking all winter though. Already though I noticed that, although I love the traction I have from my beater mountain bike, gears are freezing & icing up, so I can see where a fixie or ss would come in handy.
I think most of us do that with the layers but I haven't forgotten how cold winter in Canada is. You are correct about the gears, lose them in winter but freewheel not fixed. I ride fixed all year round and one winter a few years ago I rode a 2 mile stretch of road on hard packed ice and snow on 700x23 tyres, no grips and 120psi, not funny [though to anyone watching it probably was] certainly the hardest balancing act I have ever had to do. Enjoy Christmas.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
we'll ride the road bikes up to Regents Park, then go for a coffee at a shisha place on Edgware Road. Then home, and Brompton over to friends for a late lunch, Bromptoning home at some late hour and in some hellaciously inebriated condition.

"hellaciously" what a great word, I have come across it before!

martint235

Dog on a bike
It all depends how Xmas Eve goes. If Xmas Eve is a drunken mess then I'll just settle down with a couple of brandies on Xmas morning while I cook the turkey. If Xmas Eve is a more sober affair, I'll go out for a quick 45 mile blast round Toys Hill once the turkey is set, basted and doing well.

Nearly there

Veteran
I rode on xmas eve last year did a massive 15 mile ride (well it was then;))said to the wife xmas day think ill go for a spin No she said that was me told:sad:

thefollen

Veteran
Love the idea of a cycle on Christmas Day before the boozing. This year however I'll be doing my usual Christmas Eve 10k run around Worthing (visit the the Dad at Chrimbo)- takes in a few miles along the seafront... the crisp air is amazing.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
We're staying with the in-laws in gloriously flat Peterborough over Christmas, and my in-laws are stupidly nice to me so I'll probably have so little domestics to do, which means riding!

Also my brother in law will be back from Paris with his first road bike so the chances of us heading out a few times are very high indeed.

As for actual Christmas day, well we'll see...

Top Bottom