How much faster are the pros and what you need to emulate them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

suzeworld

Veteran
I read that article today.
Is there actually any cycling advice in it? Maybe I missed a page!
The numbers are incredible though, that’s for sure.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Extraordinary FTPs. What they talk about holding for 7 hours, I can (and only on a good day) hold for 17 minutes! These athletes are the elite. And it isn’t just the technology, it is their physiological make up. THEY are the real machines.

Listened to a guy talking about today’s 24 hour TT. I heard him say something about the record set in 1969 and held for decades. Maybe it was broken recently (?), I didn’t quite follow the detail, but imagine they had the gear, reasearch, support and nutrition we have now. He would have killed it.

Sharky

Guru
The simplist way to go fast is to choose your parents wisely. If they are cyclists and fast, then you will be.

Many examples - Chris Boardman, Bradley Wiggins, Victoria Pendleton, Axel Merckx

I bet quite a few on here have mums & dads (& Uncles) who were decent cyclists.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
You can see how fast the pros are on the TdF when a cycle path is running parallel to the road where the Tour passes and some amateur cyclist is trying to keep up with the pros. He doesn't last long and the pros are just pedalling effortlessly it seems.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The simplist way to go fast is to choose your parents wisely. If they are cyclists and fast, then you will be.

Many examples - Chris Boardman, Bradley Wiggins, Victoria Pendleton, Axel Merckx

I bet quite a few on here have mums & dads (& Uncles) who were decent cyclists.

A brother and sister i know were very keen amateur cyclists and still do the miles, though more touring and commuting rather than racing. Their dad rode in the TdF in the early 1960's a few times. "Yes but he only came about 13th at best" someone once said to me. Only 13th in the Tdf!! my,how poor is that i sarcastically thought.:rolleyes: I don't just think it's genetic. They were brought up to ride a bike from about 2 years old and racing was drummed into them. Where i lived before,a young bloke constantly had his 2 children out doing laps of the block while he followed them barking orders(encouragement). The dad is into that downhill mountain biking stuff. Not road racing i know,but it seems he wants to install cycling ability and awareness into his children which is a very good thing!

Last edited:

Jimidh

Veteran
A brother and sister i know were very keen amateur cyclists and still do the miles, though more touring and commuting rather than racing. Their dad rode in the TdF in the early 1960's a few times. "Yes but he only came about 13th at best" someone once said to me. Only 13th in the Tdf!! my,how poor is that i sarcastically thought.:rolleyes: I don't just think it's genetic. They were brought up to ride a bike from about 2 years old and racing was drummed into them. Where i lived before,a young bloke constantly had his 2 children out doing laps of the block while he followed them barking orders(encouragement). The dad is into that downhill mountain biking stuff. Not road racing i know,but it seems he wants to install cycling ability and awareness into his children which is a very good thing!

It’s not just about genetics but it mostly is.

You need the physiology and you also need to train hard. Both are required.

Most of us even if we trained full time would never get to that level because we don’t have the correct physiological make up .

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It’s not just about genetics but it mostly is.

You need the physiology and you also need to train hard. Both are required.

Most of us even if we trained full time would never get to that level because we don’t have the correct physiological make up .
That's why i class myself as a'4th division cyclist'. My mum and dad were fit and healthy enough,but they just didn't do any exercise. I kind of take some credit for my daughter looking after herself that way. From day one i took her out walking (some might say hiking) and enjoying the countryside and fresh air etc. Though i didn't encourage her to cycle as i didn't want her to face the dangers on the road. We bought her a mountain bike,but i was worried every time she went out on it. Especially as she wouldn't wear a helmet,saying it flattened her hair.:rolleyes:

You can see how fast the pros are on the TdF when a cycle path is running parallel to the road where the Tour passes and some amateur cyclist is trying to keep up with the pros. He doesn't last long and the pros are just pedalling effortlessly it seems.
But then the amateur isn't drafting a team mate and only cycling on the front for minutes/seconds at a time.

Sharky

Guru
Slightly off topic but there's a you tube video where some guy dressed as a priest keeps up with some blokes in lycra...maybe fake but made me smile :smile:
There's a funny scene in one of the Mr Bean movies where he rides past a race bunch on a sit up and beg bike.

Top Bottom