How much faster are the pros and what you need to emulate them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh shut up ffs.
Ok, maybe you’re right.

To be a pro you need to be a sufferer of asthma. Its actually quite interesting how many of them have asthma thoug isn’t it?

If you think I'm picking on cycling, I'm not. Every elite sport involving money has performance enhancing drugs involved, either detectable or not. To think everybody other than the minority who are caught is a little naive

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The way to become a professional cyclist is to join a local club, train, train more, get a few results so you get noticed, then see what offers you get.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
No one is denying the misuse of drugs is embedded in professional for decades and decades and (of late) amateur cycling, but stone me (sic), can't the drug accusers just lay off and go and watch football instead. I sit and watch cycling streams for hours when I can. I love the damn sport. I do the damn sport by partaking in (for me non drug assisted) racing. I actually dont care if I see dodgy performances. It all comes out in the wash at some point.
Shoot do you count beetroot juice?
The men and women professionals are just phenomenal in what they can do on a bike, end of.

Last edited by a moderator:

bianchi1

Guru
As well as the physiology factor it helps being a professional. The article compares Wiggins with some fellow pushing 300 odd watts for a 22 minutes 10. Chances are the amature has a full time job, is middle aged, family commitments and has no support staff, driver, masseuse or nutritionist and can't afford to spend the winter warm weather training abroad. While the amature is undoubtedly limited by his physiology, having unlimited time and money to train can't be underestimated.

D

Deleted member 26715

There is also the network genetics to consider, children who grow up in a professional sports environment also meet people who can assist them, open doors for them, it's much harder doing that from the outide

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I often think it would be a good idea to have dual level sports. One would be for sports men and women who could dope themselves up as much as they like and the other would be for clean athletes. Problem solved.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I often think it would be a good idea to have dual level sports. One would be for sports men and women who could dope themselves up as much as they like and the other would be for clean athletes. Problem solved.
I thought they had that anyway, or are suggesting the dopers come clean, so to speak?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There is also the network genetics to consider, children who grow up in a professional sports environment also meet people who can assist them, open doors for them, it's much harder doing that from the outide
Even outside sports, that's a factor. My parents and grandparents cycled. My parents cycled with me sometimes. I probably associated cycling with summer holiday adventures and the ability to go places of my choosing long before I could drive, despite living somewhere with little public transport. Children of parents who didn't cycle probably don't form those mental links and think to get places, you normally get in cars. :sad:

Adam4868

Guru
I think most of being a 'pro' in any sport is the mental part of it.How much your prepared to give up when starting out.How much mental strength you have to cope with grueling demands.
As a pro cyclist on the 3 week grand tours it's about the recovery aspect aswell,not many can sustain that level of fitness day in day out for 21 days

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You might get some idea of how fast the 'pros' are from this story. A few years ago on one of our club track sessions at Newport, a young woman asked if she could join us for training. She was just about to sit her A-levels.
We had a couple of useful 2nd-cat riders who'd won a few road-races between them.
Our final event was a scratch race, something like 18 laps as I recall. I had dropped off the back and was half a lap behind when the final sprint for the line went. Dani King (as she was then) shot past the men to win by over a bike-length. Some of them did look a little embarrassed (no-one knew what she would achieve then).

Top Bottom