How much faster are the pros and what you need to emulate them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
A couple of years ago I had a whim to enter a 24 hour TT. I could only find one, the national one (Mersey Roads, rather coincidentally happening this weekend). So I wrote to the organisers and asked if they could let me know of any other ones around the country, that rubbish people could enter. I got the reply (paraphrased) "There aren't any, but you're welcome to enter ours, provided you belong to a CTT club, no matter how rubbish you are".

So there you go, I could be in the national champs of a rather unpopular event. I thought better of it.

Similarly, I have a friend who has competed in various things all his life. He was approaching 60. He realised he was in with a chance of representing Great Britain in the world championships 60-65 bracket if he could find the right event. He chose his event after careful research and has ridden at the world champs in GB colours in the sprint duathlon discipline several times.

Brilliant. One of our Audax riders is doing the Mersey Roads. Word has it he’ll do very well.

One of my elderly clients is a recovering alcoholic and has 45% use of his lungs (smoking) and has every inhaler available. He has also recently had both cataracts done. He has taken up croquet and it turns out he is rather good. He has been in the paper a few times and he is traveling all over the place for matches.

This is more or less an aside but the snide generalisation about doping in cycling piss me off as they're usually made by people who don't follow things that closely or haven't bothered investigating things like why so many athletes get asthma, which is actually interesting if you look into it.

Seb Coe was on Five Live this morning praising the new process that is now in place in athletics to catch and convict the dopers, how transparent it all is and how the IAAF is now talking openly about doping in Athletics and how everyone can see what they are up to. How many cases are going through this process at the moment, I hear you ask. Well I'll tell you. A 120. A hundred and farking 20! They're probably all Russians I hear you say. Well, you're not completely wrong, half of them are. But a hundred and farking 20, Olympic level athletes, that's a joke!

Are there any dirtier sports than athletics? Well you might want to cast your eye towards Rugby. But nothing is sacred, swimming, weightlifting is the obvious one, in fact virtually any sport. Cycling is not clean but it's gone a long way from where it was and I would even suggest, it's ahead of other sports. Of course Sir Coe would like to think he's leading the way but he's wrong, otherwise Kenyan athletes would not be top of the running pile.

Last edited:
Oh and by the way, this is one of the cases that has just been resolved by this new super smooth IAAF process

2000 and farking two, fantastic process, makes the UCI looks like snails right.........oh wait.......

lane

Veteran
200k in between 4 and 5 hours is a lot faster than I am. The best thing I could do to emulate them would be 3 stone lighter and 30 years younger and even then I would be nowhere close drugs or no drugs.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Oh and by the way, this is one of the cases that has just been resolved by this new super smooth IAAF process

2000 and farking two, fantastic process, makes the UCI looks like snails right.........oh wait.......

Your point is a good one but that medal has 2008 written on it. So only ten years...

Milzy

Guru
Why can’t people just enjoy the racing? Either you’re a fan or you aren’t. It’s aggressive sport. Big business & totally cut throat. If you struggle in the team, you’ll be sacked and there’s always somebody else to take the place. How can people be so naive? It is what it is.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Just watching a bit of the TDF and on the Ask Sagan section a question was, "How did you prepare for the TDF" part of his answer was "I sure didn't prepare by sitting on the sofa and watching TV."
I've heard that Sagan is an ok rider, so maybe that little tip could help some others out.

keithmac

Guru
If extreme excercise brings on asthma then surely inhalers should be allowed across the board to all riders, level the playing field...

Milzy

Guru
If extreme excercise brings on asthma then surely inhalers should be allowed across the board to all riders, level the playing field...
How would Salbutamol help? If you’re breathing fine then it won’t make you breathe any better. If you abuse Salbutamol you can lose weight a little faster but we’re talking marginal gains here.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Carlton Reid said on a podcast that this is the drug for asthma, but the doses being taken by some athletes was very suspect and way above the amount any doc would subscribe. His wife is a doctor and gave him this snippet of insider knowledge.

It was a podcast round about the time Froome was in the chicken noodle soup.

Top Bottom