How much fitness time (weights, stretching, etc.) do you do in a week?

Fitness time off the bike in a week?

• None

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • 1-3 hours a week

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • 4-7 hours a week

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • More time than spent on the bike

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Depends - either bugger all like last week or;

1hr tempo run
1.5hr long run
40 mins speed run
1:15 technical swim
1hr tempo swim
1.5hr endurance swim

So between 0 and 7.

vickster

Legendary Member
Based on the OP, running and swimming don't count for some reason, so for you between 0 and 0 :wacko:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Age 69
Having a bad back I do a set of body stretches virtually every day...........to keep everything loose :smile:
I also have a weights bench and "try" to do light sessions once a week.
Does golf count ? I play twice a week and as I'm not that good I tend to walk twice as far as most people.:whistle:

biking_fox

Guru
none. I've never bothered doing 'exercise' for it's own sake, life's too short. Stretches etc have very little evidence to show they bring any benefit whatsoever, not even injury prevention.

On the otherhand like many posters above I lead an active lifestyle without a car, so plenty of walking, and I enjoy going climbing regularly, etc.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've been going to the gym since mid 1980's, lifting light weights etc, 2-3 times a week for about 1.5 hours each session.

I always thought that having too much upper body weight is to be avoided for longer distance cyclists (especially hill climbing), but my uncle regularly lifted light weights as a road cyclist, he was very fast over long flatter distances in his heydays, being 3rd in the 100 mile UK TT National Champs 1968.

One hours football. Which is mostly running so none.

A football match is 90 minutes. How do you arrive at 1 hour?

Anyway my fitness stuff varies week to week depending on whether the weather is good and I'm feeling up to it. I do cycling.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Despite my jokey reply above, I do intend to start doing some light upper-body exercise and some stretching.

I can cycle a long way on the flat without problems but when I do rides including more than (say) 2,000 metres of steepish climbs, my back inevitably starts to ache. It doesn't seem to matter how much cycling I do, my back and core muscles never seem to get as strong as my legs so my back packs up first.

I have been doing DIY for my sister at her new house, including demolishing some stud walls and blocking up a redundant doorway. I was shocked how hard I found it to do a bit of sawing, hammering, and helping take stuff to the tip!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A football match is 90 minutes. How do you arrive at 1 hour?

Anyway my fitness stuff varies week to week depending on whether the weather is good and I'm feeling up to it. I do cycling.
As per my reply to Accy I play 8 a side on astroturf, the pitches are hired for 1 hour. We aren't all that serious so don't do subs, refs, or adhere to 90 mins.

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
When I was racing, it felt better to do something off the bike for muscle balance and relaxation. Now in my 60s it's as if rigor mortis sets in later in the day or an injury starts developing over time when I don't do some off the bike physio.

Don't count walking, running, swimming, etc..

How much do you do?

Well so far it looks like a 50/50 proposition as of April 2nd.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well so far it looks like a 50/50 proposition as of April 2nd.
You haven't explained why running, walking, swimming are excluded from 'exercise' in your equation. Most of us don't race but lead quite active lives, with weight bearing activity important for bone density, fitness, muscle balance etc

Mrs M

Guru
Ashamed to say zero since I quit the gym about 3 years ago :blush:
I have invested in some kettle bells and instructional DVD, however not got past the warm up stage on the DVD yet :eek:
Must try harder! :huh:

Top Bottom