How much for a helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
I'm not starting a should or shouldn't you wear a helmet thread but I always do.

I want a new one and am just wondering if some like minded people can help me justify spending a lot? My new bike is specialized and red and white so I was thinking of a specialized prevail at £159.99. Is this too much or do you get a lot of bang for your buck?

Thanks

Paul

david k

Hi
thats a lot of money mate, if its really what you want and you have the cash then go for it i say, good luck

Jezston

Über Member
You get a lighter and more efficiently ventilated helmet for more money.

Whether that is at the expense of effectiveness in a crash is unclear. Unfortunately helmet testing standards are on a downward spiral.

Helmets are varied and there is no relationship between price and the level of protection.

Firstly look at fit, comfort and then the most important standards. Look for Snell B90 and avoid anything that is onle certified EN1078 like the plague. A Snell helmet can be as little as £40

You should also look at one with as few sharp points as possible, the smoother and rounder the better.

If you have set your heart on the Prevail, then the other option at the moment is to look at the next model down. The predecessor Works 2D is around for half the proce of the prevail now it has been discontinued

SpecSWorksLidWht2010.jpg

Danny

Legendary Member
Unless you have money to burn, I am not sure that it is worth spending £160 on a helmet. Yes it will be cooler, but how cool do you need it in this country? In fact too many vents can be a positive disadvantage in winter.

As Cunobelin says your priority should be to get one that fits. I believe all Specialized helmets are Snell certified so from that point of view a Prevail is a good choice.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
If you have set your heart on the Prevail, then the other option at the moment is to look at the next model down. The predecessor Works 2D is around for half the proce of the prevail now it has been discontinued

Looks good and I can find one for just over £100 inc P&P. I don't have money to burn I've only gone off reviews and as I'm new to cycling it's all I can do. Oh and you guys advice.
Thanks

Paul :thumbsup:

Tyke

If you want to go out all day in very hot weather with a light well vented helmet and can afford it then go for it.

If you want a Red /White helmet to match the bike that is not as light /not as vented but still to the same Snell standard then go for http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/align-helmet-ec019730 at £30 from Evens, mine is black and this summer I don't need any more vents.

If you wear it for whatever protection a helmet will offer, any helmet will do including much much cheaper. Specialized are a good choice providing it fits well as they are certified to a higher standard.

If you want it as a fashion accessory then price will be important so go for the most expensive you can find.

Top Bottom