How much have you spent on your bike this year.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1780

New stand 170 euro. New light 55 euro. New tyres 80 euro. Tubes 20 euro. New Mtb 1800 euro. Brake kit 20 euro. New edition of zinn and BBB maintenance books. Can't think of anything else....hope wife isn't on here.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Outgoing:
Replacement chain, sprockets, cables, brake pads, rapid shifter, grips for the Trek ~£100
New rack, mudguards & proper setting up (by my favourite LBS) for the Giant ~£80
New winter long trousers for me (sale) ~£60
Total: £240

Incoming:
Giant Escape 2 - free, won it :wahhey: (or should I count it as ~£400, probably not, as I wouldn't have bought a 2nd hybrid)
Bus fares saved so far through commuting by bike ~£400
SkyRides local leading ~£70
Total: £470
+ priceless entertainment (seeing the sunrise/sunset and wildlife on my commute and switching off from work thoughts, getting completely soaked/hailed on, exploring wee roads around Scotland, short tours, first proper night ride, and of course not forgetting CC Ecosse rides!) and being a lot fitter and stronger and a wee bit lighter than this time last year :thumbsup:

So I'd say quids in :biggrin:

T

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
coppi: 105 double chainring £20, rear cassette £20, new chain £15

cannondale ute: alfine tune up & oil bath: £60, new EBB supplied & fitted at same time: £50.
snapped chain replaced £15

bought a Brompton & few accoutrements: £950 on an interest free card got specifically for getting a working folder back in my fleet.

oh & £40 for 2 pairs of £100 each RRP Union34 elements cycling trousers.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
really don't want to add it all up :blush:

ribble r872 frameset built up with campag centaur groupset and vento reaction wheelset
lezyne toolkit
lezyne multitool
lezyne light set
garmin edge 200
synkros bottle cage
club casquette
shorts/jersey set (castelli, allegedly)
8 speed chain
8 speed cassette
bar tape
full set shimano brake cables
full set shimano gear cables plus bb cable router
2 x park tools puncture kits
various odd bits from aldi, wilkinsons and the poundshop

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Probably around 62 pounds, mostly oil, grease, and other consumables. And a N+1 incident yesterday, a Schwinn Racer, a British style 3 speed, at an estate sale for 3 pounds and change, or US 20.00. Because I waited until 10:30 in the morning, the customary time for estate sales in my town to go to 50% off. Friday is full price, Saturday 8:00 am is 25%off, and 10:30 is 50% off. This is because many estate companies clean the house and items, organize the items, and clean up afterward and get rid of anything that does not sell. This was all in a very neat home with a woodworking shop in the basement, almost entirely unchanged since the 1970's, with some antiques thrown in for good measure.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
In my case, still much less than a trip to the dress shop in Peoria.

400bhp

Guru
Less than I have saved by not driving the car. :whistle:^_^
Less than I have saved by not owning a car:becool: .i used to keep a running total of stuff bought. Excluding my winter bike which technically i bought on 1 jan but actually picked it up in december, I would guess at £400, with about £250 of that on clothes.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Refuse to add it up. Might give me a heart attack. Just to go on a tangent, Numnuts and Biker Joe are two threads apart but I was struck by the resemblance between the two. Shorten Numbnuts hair and look again. Are you two related or are you both the same person under aliases?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It's not "spending" as much as investing. The investment has to be offset against how much you would have spent covering the miles by other means. Bus fare to town from where I live is about 2 quid for less than a mile and that's supposed to be a poor persons option.
Bikes don't cost money they save you money. Unless you're going to walk everywhere, and even then you have to consider the time it would have taken.
My bike owes me nothing.
*quietly puts soap box away*

Top Bottom