How much money do you invest in music?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
About £20K, including Amps and mikes etc, with the instruments. Probably £40K at current prices. Got years outoof it though....

Milzy

Guru
I got thinking about this when I recently bought an old ipod classic off ebay. It was sold as spares or repair but in fact was only a battery issue.
I was amazed when I got it working to find that the previous owner had put 16,524 songs on it. Everything from classical to AC/DC. Must have cost him a fortune.
So how much do you spend annually or monthly ?
He will have downloaded them all from a torrents site like pirate bay.
Cost him £0.00

Milzy

Guru
Would they download onto iTunes though because that's the format? Sound like high quality recordings.
I used to have an iPod nano & all I did was drag & drop the albums into iTunes from my pc & synced the iPod. ITunes never questioned where the music came from.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS, how can I have the same songs but have the 'radio' edits ? Amazon unlimited. Rather not hear 'f u' or the 'n' word all the time, without me not listening to the same songs ? Even the little Disney favourite Ariana Grande swears like a trooper.... (not that I like her songs). If you exclude 'explicit' lyrics, do you get the 'radio' edit or none ?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Lots
I buy 3 or 4 cd, a month if not more
I hate downloads of any kind and prefer the real thing as it goes in the car etc

Plus I can’t explain just how lovely music is played thru hi fi

You can still ditch CD's and have decent sound.

We play our Spotify music through an Arcam rDAC > Sugden Masterclass pre/power amp's > Dynaudio compacts (can't remember the series) and it sounds pretty epic.

And we play our playlists as downloads in the car and to be fair that sounds pretty good too.

For £120 pa we have an enormous library to select from plus the curated for you recommendations are very good and accurately tailored - apart from the odd track.

We have expanded our listening tastes considerably since we have had Spotify.

Worth a punt imo! Save you a fortune too.

You can still ditch CD's and have decent sound.

We play our Spotify music through an Arcam rDAC > Sugden Masterclass pre/power amp's > Dynaudio compacts (can't remember the series) and it sounds pretty epic.

And we play our playlists as downloads in the car and to be fair that sounds pretty good too.

For £120 pa we have an enormous library to select from plus the curated for you recommendations are very good and accurately tailored - apart from the odd track.

We have expanded our listening tastes considerably since we have had Spotify.

Worth a punt imo! Save you a fortune too.

I just love having the cd, with the cases!

In fact if they come sealed I don’t open them and get another copy!

Weird I know but just me! I have genesis box sets still in the cellophane I just can’t bring myself to open them and don’t get me started on all the japan
Imports I got when in Tokyo

I had a difficult childhood!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
CDs and (paid for) downloads. I want to own my music, not rent it, and though I mostly listen to it on phone/computer, I prefer to control format and bit rate. And, of course, to make sure the musicians get paid properly. Few weeks back I bought a couple of CDs from Nothing But Noise (Front 242 side project, and anything but noise...). They'd produced and sent out the CDs themselves, after I sent an acknowledgement & thank you email, I got a reply from them as well. Don't get that with Spotify....

Rare things now, hate to think what it would cost..

Not a tune that ever did it for me Meta Lon but it is good that we have some Northern appreciation on here. Perhaps we should start our own thread.

As posted earlier I have been slowly but surely recording all my vinyl on to the pc for many years now (the software I am using says suitable for windows 95 / 98 and ME which shows how long I have been at it!!)

Anyway today I got to the letter "I" and although I will come and go with favourite Northern songs does it get any better than the drummer leading the Inspirations Your Wish Is My Command.

And to be fair it does show you why vinyl with a quality system is the best listening medium because of if you listen to an MP3 dumbed down version you lose the drummer and the instrumentation which is what early Northern / Motown was all about.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I probably buy around 30-40 CDs plus a few digital download albums per year and I've also got a Spotify free account.

A serious question for those who rely on streaming services - what happens to your music collection if the service goes out of business?

I probably buy around 30-40 CDs plus a few digital download albums per year and I've also got a Spotify free account.

A serious question for those who rely on streaming services - what happens to your music collection if the service goes out of business?
Use one of the others.

AndyRM

XOXO
More than I should to be honest. There are two small labels whose bands I love (Constellation and Southern Lord) and I buy a lot of LPs from them, despite not owning a record player. Which is totally daft, I know, but the artwork is excellent so at least I'm getting something out of it.

Top Bottom