How much money do you invest in music?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmm, I bought all these within one year, guitars and amps. Can't play worth a darn though! :wahhey:

I have about 500 CD's, a $1000 stereo, a sound bar, a few wifi speakers. I love music though I have never bought a file from itunes etc.

IMG_5620A.jpeg
0fender2.jpg

MikeG

Guru
Nothing, as I use Deezer.

I loath background music, or background noise of any description, so if I listen to an album (which is the way I prefer to listen to music), that's what I am focused on. As I am pretty busy, I am not actually listening to music very often.

vickster

Legendary Member
I buy maybe 5 CDs a year nowadays, I have a CD player/amp/speakers in the house which cost maybe £700 about 10 years ago? I don't often use it but I did play a CD when working at home on Friday. Have a CD player in the car, have never been a radio listener. Have an iPod and phone for listening out and about, in gym (or get YouTube through the treadmill/bike) or office.
I use YouTube to listen to random stuff I'd never buy, but refuse to pay to lose the ads and be able to listen when the device is locked.

I've never been a radio listener, I like to choose what to hear and don't like the wittering

Probably go to 3 or 4 live gigs/festivals a year but that can cost silly money and be challenging to beat the touts/resellers to tickets :angry:

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hmm, I bought all these within one year, guitars and amps. Can't play worth a darn though! :wahhey:

I have about 500 CD's, a $1000 stereo, a sound bar, a few wifi speakers. I love music though I have never bought a file from itunes etc.

View attachment 453178 View attachment 453179
Guitars are beautiful objects and I can understand why you collect them. I can play but nothing fancy, would love to learn bass but I'm rather 'tone' deaf. I don't have a guitar now but I would love to try one of those build your own guitar kits.

Guitars are beautiful objects and I can understand why you collect them. I can play but nothing fancy, would love to learn bass but I'm rather 'tone' deaf. Would love to try one of those build your own guitar kits.

I'd have to say I'm tone death too so learning to play a song is a challenge and if I do, it's like conquering one of life's challenges for me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There are two small labels whose bands I love (Constellation and Southern Lord) and I buy a lot of LPs from them, despite not owning a record player. Which is totally daft, I know

'Daft' ....such a harsh word. Perhaps 'totally bonkers'?

I buy jazz LPs from charity shops & a record shop down near where my in-laws live, occasionally from ebay. But not vast numbers....20-30? Probably something like £100-200 a year.

Plus the occasional bit of hardware, tho' that's probably stopped for now. I've been assembling a system over the last three or four years, which has meant £30 here and £370 there, but I'm happy with what I've got now, so probably won't be buying any more kit in the near future. Oh, and I occasionally succumb to temptation and buy yet another mp3 player. I have maybe a dozen now. They have small yellow stickies on the back saying things like 'jazz' and 'reggae/dub' and 'mine'. So much easier than menus. :whistle:. But they cost next to nothing (£15?) and that, again, is a theme that's slowed pretty much to a standstill. There's only so many mp3 players a man needs. And when he has enough that he's not sure how many he has, he probably has more than enough. (I don't pay for the actual music - it pretty much all comes from friends' collections...something like 800Gb at the last count, of which I'm probably familiar with, and actually play, maybe 40Gb.)

No, from here on in I suspect it will continue running at £100-200 a year. Unless my habits change beyond recognition.

Mile195

Veteran
I spent 99p on a Richard Clayderman album I found in a charity shop a few weeks ago. That's probably about it for recorded music over the last year!

However, I did spend £190 on a Ukulele last month, much to my partners disgust! And I also have quite unobtainable dreams of buying a new piano. Unfortunately the one I want is £18'000. Maybe I should just stick to buying Richard Clayderman CD's...

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My vinyl addiction took another tenner out of my pocket yesterday; 20 Years of Jethro Tull, double LP.

I might buy four albums one month and none the next... no idea how much i spend really. The vinyl is more important than money.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just spent £240 on 'lefty' one of my 303 poweramps, should be good for another 20yrs at least

Top Bottom