How much should petrol/diesel cost us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Imagine how wonderful it would be if every private motorist reduces their use by over 90% like I have. Instead of making excuses I lead from the front, and just get on with it.
Imagine how wonderful it would be if everybody could afford to retire before they are 50, not everybody is in the same situation as yourself

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Some people here seems to be living in the wrong era. This is the 21st century where travelling is a way of life and a car is a necessity for many. In the middle ages, people hardly ever moved more than 5 miles from their village because there was no need and transport didn't exist, apart from the rich who could afford horses.
My daughter lives 37 miles away so I need my car to go and see her, my son is 12 miles away so I frequently go on my bike for that but my brothers are 600 miles away, so planes and cars are used when I go, which is only once a year.
As for kids going to school by car, in the school where I work, most come on school buses, walk or ride a bike. Very few actually are taken by car so it must be a southern thing.
Car manufacturers have done a lot to reduce gas emissions and they still are.
How about Head of States, Royals, VIPs, pop stars and the very rich, using private jets and an army of bodyguards following behind in petrol guzzling vehicles, these are hardly mentioned.
I agree that a lot of people tend to overuse their cars when they could walk to near to them places though but for the majority, we need our cars.

D

Deleted member 26715

Some people here seems to be living in the wrong era. This is the 21st century where travelling is a way of life and a car is a necessity for many.
Unfortunately if some of the young born this year want to see the 22nd Century something has to change
In the middle ages, people hardly ever moved more than 5 miles from their village because there was no need and transport didn't exist, apart from the rich who could afford horses.
Not sure about the middle ages, but there were people in our village in the 1970's who only left the village once a week to do some shopping, they would only go to the nearest 'big' town Doncaster for hospital appointments when forced. Never been abroad, not even seen the sea nor been on holiday.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Some people here seems to be living in the wrong era. This is the 21st century where travelling is a way of life and a car is a necessity for many. In the middle ages, people hardly ever moved more than 5 miles from their village because there was no need and transport didn't exist, apart from the rich who could afford horses.
My daughter lives 37 miles away so I need my car to go and see her, my son is 12 miles away so I frequently go on my bike for that but my brothers are 600 miles away, so planes and cars are used when I go, which is only once a year.
As for kids going to school by car, in the school where I work, most come on school buses, walk or ride a bike. Very few actually are taken by car so it must be a southern thing.
How about Head of States, Royals, VIPs, pop stars and the very rich, using private jets and an army of bodyguards following behind in petrol guzzling vehicles, these are hardly mentioned.
I agree that a lot of people tend to overuse their cars when they could walk to near to them places though but for the majority, we need our cars.

I think that perhaps you are in the wrong era, modern thinking is that we cannot continue to reply on cars, especially for journeys that could be done by other means. As for your list of special people, they are so far and few between that whilst yes they should be criticised, getting the other 99.9% to look at their own behaviour would be a far better use of time.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
But if it could be proven that using a car for business is the only way, they would qualify for a rebate in my imaginary scenario. The ones who should be paying top whack for fuel are those who have the option to walk/cycle/take public transport but instead choose to take a car.
Who do we trust to make the rules, do the proving, and make the decisions?

But if it could be proven that using a car for business is the only way, they would qualify for a rebate in my imaginary scenario. The ones who should be paying top whack for fuel are those who have the option to walk/cycle/take public transport but instead choose to take a car.

That puts the onus of proof on a business, whereas if you work on road pricing the address would be sufficient if they were in a rural area. If they then went and took a job in central London they would have to pay the road fee.

You could also tilt the systemto help small rural firms that way, by allowing a firm based at a rural address to have a certain amount of mileage at discount so it would be difficult for a big company from a city to undercut them, thus keeping customer's money in the local area. Of course someone will occasionally find a way to game the system, but that's nothing new.

Reactions: mjr
Not going to get many parcels in Smart cat?

Sure you can...

W8xEI%2FAAAAAAAAASE%2F3bOG-mX2Pu0%2Fs1600%2Fcatbus.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
They are however a very very tiny minority of the 60million plus now residing in the UK. Head of State: n=1 for example

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

Well they also didn't have trains, buses, the electric motor, telecommunications or in many cases pen and paper with a post office to send...

Im not denying there is a use for a car, and i note that you agree many overuse, but i think it's the extent in which they are overused that needs to be defined and examined more because the School run for example is a pathetic indictment on our society with our obsession with the motor vehicle especially in combination with obesity ...

vickster

Legendary Member
They make up for their relatively small numbers by the vast amount of energy they burn.

To be fair, compared to many people in the world, so do we.
Has there been a study to actually show this however? There are plenty of normal people who travel a lot as part of their jobs, far more than the Queen I’m sure

mustang1

Guru
Free.

End of.

Exactly. It is natural stuff that went into the ground and natural stuff that comes out of the ground that belongs to all of us. Minus the mining/drilling/shipping costs. And I suppose someone out there wants to make a bit of profit too.

Why are so many people against this natural fuel source? No one tries to plug the poisonous gases eminating from a volcano for example.

Top Bottom