How much would you/have you paid for a kitchen knife?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Fit and finish on lower lines has become questionable
At some point they changed their sharpening and started putting v shaped edge instead of convex, which is not best suited to steel they use
In any case almost everyone is moving towards harder alloys and they are stuck in the past.
The way I see it it is Victorinox level performance for a lot of money

I bought a 6" Wustof Ikon recently - mmm, well 7 or 8 years ago. My Mrs wasn't keen on handling my big chopper! Anyhow, whilst I'm personally less keen on the balance of the Ikon shape - a bit handle heavy for me, bit more importantly despite being stainless it takes a good edge and is easy to sharpen. Fit and finish is spot on.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Serious question now..i am looking to buy my chef son a knifey type present.
If you want to sell them pm me with some details.
Feel free to ignore this question.
Hello Dave. Thank you for the offer. I never realised that old Wusthofs were held in such high regard. I think I'll hang on to them and try and improve my sharpening skills. I would feel a bit guilty about flogging a wedding present from a friend, even if it is rather a long time ago.
All the best.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hello Dave. Thank you for the offer. I never realised that old Wusthofs were held in such high regard. I think I'll hang on to them and try and improve my sharpening skills. I would feel a bit guilty about flogging a wedding present from a friend, even if it is rather a long time ago.
All the best.
No problems. Thanks for the reply.
TBH I was a bit worried as I think those chef type guys like to choose their tools individually ie as per my post my son has just paid 300 smackers for one hand made knife :wacko:.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
My last lot were free

D

Deleted member 26715

We were given a knife as a wedding present 38 years ago on 1st October, still going strong, well the knife is, I think it's only been thrown once in all that time.

D

Deleted member 26715

She missed.
Only just we had to replace the door

SteveF

A proper whetstone will give the best edge, but I find my Minosharp gives good enough results without needing the time or the skill.

You mentioned bread knives, I use a carving knife to cut bread, I find it much easier and neater.
Thanks for the Minosharp reference, looked it up and bought one, it's brought my old Global back to life where I was struggling to sharpen using other means...

Last edited:
The family clubbed together to get me some decent knives for my birthday back in July.
They are flint & flame knives and I have an 8” chefs knife, 8” santoku and the carving set.
Razor sharp and a joy to use.The chefs knife was £130, Santoku was £135 and the carving set £195
View attachment 546625
We now have 4 F&F knives and absolutely love them. Bought a pair initially and then added more later. Keep a fantastic edge and beautiful balance. Edit 😳 actually five. Forgot the big one which is a different style from the same maker. Got it cheap(er) at a show

Attachments

• DA0972CD-7B92-4DD0-BEA3-996FC4DE4E69.jpeg
    DA0972CD-7B92-4DD0-BEA3-996FC4DE4E69.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We now have 4 F&F knives and absolutely love them. Bought a pair initially and then added more later. Keep a fantastic edge and beautiful balance. Edit 😳 actually five. Forgot the big one which is a different style from the same maker. Got it cheap(er) at a show
Must say, they look nice. Blade shape maybe a bit exotic for me but very nice.

Top Bottom