How much would you spend on a new bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The secret to amassing wealth is saving not spending. So...

If I had the money, £2500. But it would be steel framed and I would expect it to last a lifetime. For anything lighter, i.e. for weekend/club runs, not a penny over £1000 but I would hope to pick a model in the sales for £699 or so.

The left over capital would be used to fund my retirement, so I can spend the rest of my days cycling, and not working. :thumbsup:

bpsmith

Veteran
I thought the thread was about how much you would spend on a bike, rather than amassing wealth @confusedcyclist? If amassing wealth was your sole aim, then no bike at all is the answer!

I bought a more expensive bike last August and been using my cheaper bike since November. Had a blast on the newer bike on Sunday, for a change, and was noticeably faster, and had more left over energy to ride further with the same effort. To me, that is worth the spend at this age, rather than waiting another 30 years when I am arguably less able.

I thought the thread was about how much you would spend on a bike, rather than amassing wealth @confusedcyclist? If amassing wealth was your sole aim, then no bike at all is the answer!

I bought a more expensive bike last August and been using my cheaper bike since November. Had a blast on the newer bike on Sunday, for a change, and was noticeably faster, and had more left over energy to ride further with the same effort. To me, that is worth the spend at this age, rather than waiting another 30 years when I am arguably less able.
You're right, but the point stands. £2,500 will buy you a bike that lasts a lifetime! £1,000,000 looks better in my bank than someone elses!

screenman

Legendary Member
My problem is that I live for today. Not to the point of having massive debts, but don't save a lot either. Who will be smiling come retirement though? Not me.

A few of my friends have been comfortably retired for longer than they worked, 2 of them police officers the rest were civil servants of other kinds. Most of them still enjoying a bike ride.

Dmcd33

About £3000 for me. This is too ensure a decent groupset and wheels.

As previoulsy said, I would spend a load on a man cave/workshop with tools I don't even know how to use!

bpsmith

Veteran
A few of my friends have been comfortably retired for longer than they worked, 2 of them police officers the rest were civil servants of other kinds. Most of them still enjoying a bike ride.

Not suggesting that cycling stops at retirement age. Not in the slightest.

I just work hard now and fancy stuff now. Short sighted, maybe, but that's how I am wired.

Top Bottom