How much would you spend on a new bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Hmm, interesting question! In real life, probably around the £600 mark (would require serious wifely convincing though) - and I'd go 2nd hand rather than new and look for another nice old ten speed. In lottery winning mode, three grand seems (to me!) to be enough to get you pretty much anything out there, other than curiosities and one-offs... Must admit I wouldn't mind trying a top end modern TT bike or similar just to see what they're like, but I suspect I'd still be happier on my ten speed than on a super whizzy carbon zoomer :smile: More money left to spend on flapjacks!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I wouldn't buy another bike, instead I would buy a winnebago and employ a driver and have him/her follow me around as I toured in style on one of my current bikes.

The rather lovely 11k sparkly red Parlee in Sigma would do me. Without a lottery win, I don't think I could justify more than 3k or so (a nice Ti build) even if I can afford it :smile: a couple of my bikes were around £1500-2000, the other two were used under £500 (albeit with £900 odd RRPs)

Right now I am getting far more value from my Bupa premiums than the money I spend on bikes and kit :whistle:
yep - that £35 a month it costs for me on my husband's work's policy has been money well spent!

ayceejay

Guru
I won $92 on the lottery once - so far I have spent it 55 times on bike related stuff
with this track record if I won $1m I imagine I would spend about $1/2b on bike stuff one way or another:thumbsup:

Rustybucket

Veteran
I've just found out I've made bonus at work for last year. The only problem is that the wife says I must sell one bike before I can get another :angry: (I've only got 3) and I want to get another 2!

andyfraser

Über Member
I've just found out I've made bonus at work for last year. The only problem is that the wife says I must sell one bike before I can get another :angry: (I've only got 3) and I want to get another 2!
I've put my foot down. Apparently we don't have space for more bikes but the shed's mine to use how I wish and there's room in the cupboard under the stairs so that's 3, maybe 4, bikes and I have 2. We don't need anything. All the bills are paid. I've contributed money to everything I need to (including the holiday fund) so whatever's left is mine.

At the risk of being even more boring than usual ... :whistle:

I am used to living on a fairly small amount of money and I would not suddenly become a different person and start throwing money around. I might treat myself to several nice bikes costing a few thousand pounds each, maybe £10k in total. I don't particularly want to make myself a target for every thieving scrote who can recognise a super-expensive bike when he sees one!

There is also the matter of there being millions of starving people in the world and they would start to weigh heavy on my conscience if I were to become too indulgent, so ...

£10k max on bikes, £500k for my pension fund and then retire immediately, about £1,000,000 spread around my family and friends to make sure they were ok, and the rest of the windfall given to carefully selected charities who could do a lot of good with it.

I have often been called a charity case:thumbsup:

Mrs M

Guru
£1500, Specialized E5 Crux Sport Evo is what I would buy.
It's the bike I would like just now.
Would not go mental :crazy: buying something worth thousands just because I could.
Would maybe also spend the same on a Marin Nail Trail, hired on abroad once and loved it.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Do what I did, tell her you are getting a bonus but expecting it to be really small, so you are going use it for some cycling gear. Bought my Sirrus that way ^_^

Top Bottom