How much would you spend on a new bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'd rather have what I want, life's too short not to enjoy it. I appreciate everyone is different though, I'd rather have a sensible mortgage and have plenty of disposable income for nice things.

How can £5000 in debt be disposable income? As you say each to their own, personally I had debt on frivolous items, enough to never have it.

arch684

Veteran
I do 0% finance in reverse I make the payments first then buy the item.If i don't have the money i can't afford it

1) road racer - £4k
2) Sportive - £4k
3) Bike bags - 2x £350
4) Spain, France, Italy and California - ££
5) Amateur circuits - small fee

NorvernRob

How can £5000 in debt be disposable income? As you say each to their own, personally I had debt on frivolous items, enough to never have it.

I never said it was - I said I'd rather have a modest mortgage and plenty of disposable income, so I barely even notice a monthly payment for a bike. There's very little I want that I don't have, and I'm not rich by any means. I'm good at managing money and have never missed a payment on anything, ever, or got into any kind of financial difficulty.

I don't say I'd borrowed £5000 either..I said I spent £5k on bikes last year and borrowed most of it.

I have friends that won't borrow anything, they'll only pay cash - but they own b*gger all.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
@Flick of the Elbow
I reckon your terms of reference would change and you could well end up spending more. Your currently thinking like a man who has not got millions in the bank
I'm thinking as a man who'd spend his millions on a Highland estate and refurbishing the Scots baronial mansion that comes with it. And a couple of nice cars would be good. And perhaps a nice watch. And I expect the wife will want a few nice things too. Actually I don't think I'm going to be able to afford a £2.5k bike after all...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
And I expect the wife will want a few nice things too.

We once had the "lottery win" talk at home...

Mrs Dave- "If we won £10M I would give my sister a million, my mum and dad a million"
Me- "So we'd have to do the same for my mum, 3 brothers and one sister ?"
Mrs Dave-"yes.... then we'd give (reels off about 10 friends) £250,000..."
Me-"So we win the lottery and have to take a loan out to give people money...?"

If we won she'd be given some ground rules!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I guess I would pick a frame up for about 7k and spend another few k on wheels and groupset etc so maybe about 12k . Having said that I don't do the lottery and havnt since about a year after it started so I think I have saved more than I would have ever won on it :thumbsup: especially as you could spend £5 + a week on a gamble that isn't in your favour .
How long has the lottery been going now ? I want to add up my lottery savings :laugh:

NorvernRob

I guess I would pick a frame up for about 7k and spend another few k on wheels and groupset etc so maybe about 12k . Having said that I don't do the lottery and havnt since about a year after it started so I think I have saved more than I would have ever won on it :thumbsup: especially as you could spend £5 + a week on a gamble that isn't in your favour .
How long has the lottery been going now ? I want to add up my lottery savings :laugh:

I don't do it either. I used to spend £1 per week as part of a small syndicate, then when the cost of a ticket doubled to £2 we stopped.

I know loads of people that spend £5-£10 per week on tickets, £20-£40 per month! You could get a bike for that.....:laugh:

andyfraser

Über Member
I reckon Factor's One 77 must be up there. Yours for £25k sir.
I don't think that bike's all that aesthetically pleasing. It probably rides like a dream and I'd probably love it if I rode it but it also probably wouldn't give it a second look. Factor are welcome to lend my one in case I change my mind though. ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
The rather lovely 11k sparkly red Parlee in Sigma would do me. Without a lottery win, I don't think I could justify more than 3k or so (a nice Ti build) even if I can afford it :smile: a couple of my bikes were around £1500-2000, the other two were used under £500 (albeit with £900 odd RRPs)

Right now I am getting far more value from my Bupa premiums than the money I spend on bikes and kit :whistle:

Top Bottom