How much would you spend on a new bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
If I had loads of money I would buy the butler a bike and just watch him
When you say 'butler', you mean 'naked dancing girls', right?:laugh:

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
The desire to spends wads on bespoke handcrafted loveliness, yes I can get that, but I don't get the attraction in spending wads on ProTour level carbon. Pro bikes are uncomfortable and high maintenance to look after, their only advantage is that they're fast. Is this really that important ?

AndyRM

XOXO
The desire to spends wads on bespoke handcrafted loveliness, yes I can get that, but I don't get the attraction in spending wads on ProTour level carbon. Pro bikes are uncomfortable and high maintenance to look after, their only advantage is that they're fast. Is this really that important ?

Are they? I'd probably agree about a TT bike, but just a standard one? Once I'd got my head around Di2 they'd be as simple to maintain as a 'regular' one. Same with comfort - correct positioning and you're sorted.

I'd probably buy some retro loveliness which can get rather pricey.

been looking at 4k ish

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At the risk of being even more boring than usual ... :whistle:

I am used to living on a fairly small amount of money and I would not suddenly become a different person and start throwing money around. I might treat myself to several nice bikes costing a few thousand pounds each, maybe £10k in total. I don't particularly want to make myself a target for every thieving scrote who can recognise a super-expensive bike when he sees one!

There is also the matter of there being millions of starving people in the world and they would start to weigh heavy on my conscience if I were to become too indulgent, so ...

£10k max on bikes, £500k for my pension fund and then retire immediately, about £1,000,000 spread around my family and friends to make sure they were ok, and the rest of the windfall given to carefully selected charities who could do a lot of good with it.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A nice made to measure touring bike, a made to measure Mercian, a new carbon toy, a mountain bike to play in the mud on , and a duplicate set for my house in Mallorca.

There would be a van to be practical and a workshop with tools.

The most important thing in this spending spree would be to get myself some cytech qualifications under my belt as I'm a total mechanical nobber par excellence!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
  • I'd spend nowt. My current stable of bikes cover all the disciplines (and my ability) I'm ever likely to participate in

Last edited:

S.Giles

I'd be cycling to the airport. And I'd be flying a Cessna 182 or a Piper Arrow when I get there.
That's exactly what I used to do. Cycle to Sandtoft (local airfield) and jump in a Piper PA28. I lost my license when I had my cycling accident a couple of years ago though. I did that sans lottery win BTW, and my advice to anyone wanting to learn to fly would be to go ahead and do it. You'll never forget your first solo!

Steve

Top Bottom