How much would you spend on a new bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ed Phelan

Depends how much I'd won! I'd get my dream bike; the Raleigh Militis, beautiful piece of kit (worth about 3.5K). I'd also get a penny-farthing and ride about town jeering at commoners on the bus.

No limit. Why would you put a limit? If you've won a few million what's 10grand on a bike? Even if you haven't won millions and you can afford 7 or 8 grand on a bike then why not? You can't take it with you when you die. If it gives you enjoyment then it's worth every penny.

The limiting factor, on the price of the bike, would be how much I'd have left, after I'd purchased the private island somewhere that doesn't have seasons, on which to ride it / them.

Bodhbh

Guru
Um, I'm not really bothered about getting really high end stuff - wasted on me. However, if money was no object I'd probably get a few custom frames done and build them up myself. So what we talking - 3 or 4 grand a bike? Hell if money is no object, I guess I'm not working and time isn't either - I'd go on a frame building course and build the f**kers myself. And buy a full set of Park Tools.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I would start with the 2015 Scott Addict 15 for £2699 then throw another £1500 - £2k @ it for new wheels & change parts that i already have.

Probably order 2 custom made & painted bikes from Feather in 953 at around £2600 for the frame/forks, so £5k build cost each then a Custom Rourke in 953/853 & a Custom Swallow or two in 953.

Reckon i could get rid of £25k in a weekend, but then i am sh**e with money.

KneesUp

Guru
So many people replying 'I don't really need x or y'

Well of course you don't, if life was all about what we needed we'd be living in a cave with a fire for warmth and some food + water.

I'd probably end up with 10 bikes minimum, and I doubt any of them would be worth less than £5k. I'd buy what bike or part I wanted, when I wanted it and wouldn't even look at the price.
It was when we moved out of the caves that all the problems began. In fact coming down from the trees was a bad move. (To paraphrase Douglas Adams, largely because I'm too lazy to look up the proper quote.)

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
A surprising set of responses so far, I was expecting a barrage of comments along the lines of "What do you want a bike worth £2.5k for, its not worth it". Most surprising to see most responses going the other way.

andyfraser

Über Member
A surprising set of responses so far, I was expecting a barrage of comments along the lines of "What do you want a bike worth £2.5k for, its not worth it". Most surprising to see most responses going the other way.
Of course. I would suspect that if a lot of us had £2,500 to spend on a bike they would. I certainly would! Or maybe 2 bikes. :smile:

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom