How much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
Double edge razor is the answer. Initial outlay £20 for decent razor. My consumibles purchases in 2018 - two tubs of shaving soap @£1.99 each. Two packs of razor blades, one @£3.50 for five, two @£5.95 for 25. Total cost £19.38 and I probably have enough soap to last till April 2019 and blades till February 2019. It's a no brainer. All the consumables delivered in 48 hours to my door!!!!

We recently bought Neil Young's "Harvest" as a wedding present. I was gobsmacked to discover it cost £35!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a DE razor myself occasionally. Although i also use Bic 2 blade disposables that are only 10p each. But i always use proper shave soap with a brush, either Arko, Derby, or Palmolive, which can be bought dirt cheap online.
I wont buy any of the rip off priced wet shaving stuff.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Gluten free stuff. It's improved a lot in the last couple years but branded loaves are still often 2 quid or more for a tiny loaf.

There's always quite a lot of the stuff in the local Morrison's at the end of the night,selling for about 10% of the original price. I don't know why they order so much of the stuff as most seems to be left on the shelf every day.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What about funerals. 3 to 4 grand now for a 'decent funeral'. Apart from a couple of cars and their drivers for an hour or less and few days stay in the chapel of rest and the use of the incinerator for half a hour what do you get for your 4 grand??!!

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
The cost of vinyl LPs in HMV. £20 upwards. Talk about cashing in on the fad for retro.
They aren't really that expensive. The Hotel California lp was £4 when it came out in 1976, so what would that be today?
But they were upwards of a tenner in 1990... £20 today isn't bad at all.
In 1976 the Eagles Hotel California album cost £4. People only earned about £10 a week then.

I'm currently buying almost mint second hand LPs for around a fiver from a guy who runs a record stall on the market every Friday.

Smudge

Veteran
Music, whether vinyl, CD's or tapes was all expensive back in the day. But whereas CD's are cheap now, certainly far cheaper than they used to be, vinyl is now still the high price of what music once was.
I dont get the vinyl resurgence at all and certainly haven't bought into it. I much prefer CD's...... and downloading music is something that has passed me by altogether.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Watching a television commercial the other day I had a 'How much?' moment.

I've been on casual lookout for a decent electric shaver, the last one I had wasn't brilliant and conked out years ago.

As a Tottenham fan, an advert featuring our player Eric Dier for a Braun shaver caught my eye.

Until I saw the price - £189, and that was supposedly reduced.

You'd need to be on a professional footballer's wage to afford one of those.

Perhaps I'm out of touch, a quick scan of the Argos website shows they have several electric shavers at more than £200.

Have you ever been shocked at the price of something?

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/electric-shaver/opt/sort:price:desc/

Mine was just over £300 but Lovely Wife spotted it in a black Friday sale for £130 and bought it for me as a pressie.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My council tax and I believe it is going up sharply next year!!

Our biggest financial outlay these days.
What about funerals. 3 to 4 grand now for a 'decent funeral'. Apart from a couple of cars and their drivers for an hour or less and few days stay in the chapel of rest and the use of the incinerator for half a hour what do you get for your 4 grand??!!

Ours will be much cheaper than that - we're not having a funeral service and it will be simply the cost of a cheapo coffin, cremation and body transport.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ours will be much cheaper than that - we're not having a funeral service and it will be simply the cost of a cheapo coffin, cremation and body transport.
Hear hear.

I've told Mrs SJ that if I go before her I want to go straight from the mortuary to the crem with no undertakers, no service and no mourners. When you've gone you've gone so why get your nearest and dearest to spend money they'll need for other things.

Hear hear.

I've told Mrs SJ that if I go before her I want to go straight from the mortuary to the crem with no undertakers, no service and no mourners. When you've gone you've gone so why get your nearest and dearest to spend money they'll need for other things.
Because through mankind the celebration of transition (birth, adulthood, marriage,death etc) is helpeful both for the individual and society. The individual benefits from announcing they are now taking on a new role. Obviously less so with death, but all transitions help the immediate society transition as their roles may change so although you may not benefit, it will help those close to you.

However, your life, your rules. But by the same token, you’ll have little control over what they do when you’re dead.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Posh. Landfill for me. :okay:

Top Bottom