How Often Do You Change Your Bike?

How Often Do You Change Your Bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

Whilst waiting in a cycle shop today, I was trying my best not to drool over some of the more fancy bicycles they had. This got me thinking, how often do people tend to change their bikes as now there is much choice in bicycles as there is with cars along with similar buying/financing options.

Some of us, have money to burn, others have a need, some spend time and money getting their steed just the way they want, so at what point would be buy a new (or 2nd hand bike)?

For me, its when I want to try something else. Outside of that I keep things going for as long as they last.

vickster

Legendary Member
Change...nah add!
That said I’ve not bought a new bike this year!
My last purchase followed my injury payout finally coming through

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends which bike; some I've had for about 4-5 years. Others pass through my hands very quickly.

If I like a bike I see I'll buy it. And then decide whether it stays or gets moved on. However almost all are second-hand or bought as frames to improve or build; I did buy my second new bike though this year - the first was in 2011.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
We had a 1986 ex-RAF Land Rover 90, the only original parts were the engine and chassis. Everything else had been changed at least once courtesy of the taxpayer. We got a pal in the RAF to pull the service record, which was 27 pages of repairs and services and re-purposes and three changes of dashboard, meaning it read 75,000 miles but had probably done nearer 400,000.

Reactions: DSK

vickster

Legendary Member
We had a 1986 ex-RAF Land Rover 90, the only original parts were the engine and chassis. Everything else had been changed at least once courtesy of the taxpayer. We got a pal in the RAF to pull the service record, which was 27 pages of repairs and services and re-purposes and three changes of dashboard, meaning it read 75,000 miles but had probably done nearer 400,000.
Wrong thread? :scratch:

screenman

Legendary Member
I add another bike to the collection each year, all new, that stopped about 4years ago and I have slimmed down to only having 6, although I have been thinking about getting a gravel bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
No, the thread is straying towards discussing the more satisfying strategy of keeping stuff and actually repairing and maintaining it rather than just throwing it away.
No it wasn’t, that was one rather off-topic post :scratch:
There’s a whole skipdiver John thread dedicated to such tedious old man discussion of fixing old crap stuff :whistle:
This is about changing bikes. The poll is nothing to do with old cars

Top Bottom