How often do you change your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cars have always been my one weakness, I do like a nice car despite only putting around 5 or 6k a year on it. I too have always changed every 3 years starting from brand new but the last couple of cars have been quite expensive so I've kept them for 4.
I shouldn't have bought the car I have now, but it is a thing of beauty and a joy to drive but not very environmentally friendly and I've been wrestling with what to do with it for a while now as it will be 4 ome August. That was until I heard Jaguar are stopping production to switch to electric motors and hope to have an electric version of all their models by 2020. I think I'll be at the head of the que when they come out.

https://news.sky.com/story/jaguar-l...-the-uk-protecting-thousands-of-jobs-11757066

Presuming, you have a 'Cat', going by the above?
We had one for a while, pre - Octavia
(& I had a 110Td5)

Defender. S50 RAT. & X88 JLT.JPG

Wife presently has a Toyota C-HR *hybrid derivative)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I tend to keep hold of my cars until the cost of running/repairs make them uneconomical.

I had my last car for 13 years. It was 9 months old when I bought it. I bought my latest car in Feb 2011 new and it has less than 28,000 miles on the clock. Serviced every year, never failed an MOT. 1 set of new tyres and the front brakes replaced and thats it.

D

Deleted member 1258

Now I'm retired the plan is to keep it as long as possible, the way the money is I can't afford to change it, so I'll keep it till it needs expensive repairs or it seriously fails it MOT, and it might be my last car. It's only the third car I've owned, the other two were old bangers and only lasted about three years before I had to get rid.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Car ownership is merely a necessary evil, and replacement is money wasted on funding the lifestyle of car dealers. The only essential attributes of cars are that they go when the right hand pedal is pressed, stop when the adjacent is pressed, and are able to transport sufficient bicycles. All else is frippery.

Cars are replaced strictly whenever they piss me off by becoming unreliable. They are *never* washed - as residual value is close to zero at the point of replacement anyway, spending time or money to maintain their value is utterly pointless; said time or money would be much better spent on bicycles.

Replacements are always 2nd hand as new cars lose near 50% of their value instantly. Replacements should be sufficiently new not to require replacement within a short number of years.

Current car is 10 years old and has been mine for seven. I've no idea how long I'll keep it. Anything between 1-10 years depending on reliability.

Jody

Stubborn git
About every 5-8 years. I tend to buy 5-7 year-old cars and run them until they drop when they're replaced with another: basic bangernomics but in the £2000-3000 price range.

This sums up the way I look at cars. Buy when someone else has taken the majority of depreciation and when still new/reliable enough to last a few years. Punt it on or break it when it gets tired and move on to the next one.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Sadly, I used to be very into the new car thing as part of my corporate life. It was a status thing and still is for many. I've lost track of the number of hot hatches (early career) and big, fast German mile-munchers I've had in my later career.

Having eschewed all that rollocks years ago we now have a tiny little German car that goes adequately fast, is very economical and is surprisingly well equipped. We decided to keep it 10 years at the purchase date when it cost just under £11k seven years ago (it now has 25000 miles on it) and we will almost certainly stick to the plan.

I have no interest in cars whatsoever apart from being a safe and reliable A to B tool. Some of my friends think we are mad not having two 'nice' cars on the drive but that's their problem - occasionally I have to remind the odd person that one car between two is enough for our needs and if we really wanted his and hers new Porsches (etc) on the drive we could buy them cash without breaking sweat. Sadly, not everyone gets that either.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not very often............

I bought my Octavia estate ('11' plate, 1.6Tdi) in March 2012, when it was about 7months old @ 6,000 miles

Still got it, @ 136,000 miles
No plans to change it, except maybe for another Octavia (maybe a Scout 2.0 Tdi/6-speed)

It's had the usual 'wear & tear' items (1)
Cheap to insure, & VED is £30/year
I can get 65MPG running about locally
Re-mapped a while ago (insurance declared)

Its usual colour
(rear tyres are clean, at moment, as new pair last month)
View attachment 474018

A useful increase, the torque is noticeable, for joining m-ways. etc.....
View attachment 474019

My mother had a Vauxhall Corsa (1st shape), she essentially drove it off the showroom floor, in 1997 ('R plated) & only sold it in late 2017/early 2018 (can't remember which?)

1. Still on original clutch & exhaust (but a new clutch master cylinder)

Colleague at work has just sold his 16 year old Octavia 1.9 diesel estate, 230k miles and still going well. Still on the original exhaust and clutch although he did say most of its life was spent on major roads/motorways. The guy he's sold it to (another colleage) has sent him a photo of the fuel consumption he achieved last week...72mpg, although that was driving steady.

I'd have brought it myself given half the chance.

Taken care of, they must be a bloomin good car.

gbb

Legendary Member
3 to 4 years for me, usually once the finance is done i get itchy feet and want something different.
But my 2015 Astra is nearly mine and i don't think i'm going to change it. Its reliable, it does what it needs to without any finesse or particular style...but its ok, so i think i'm going to stick with it.

Top Bottom