How often do you change your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
I've had company cars for the last twenty years, i get a list every three years or so and just pick one off it.

With the price of new cars today I can't imagine ever buying a new one, I'd probably spend around £5000 on something 'entertaining' and run it as long as possible if I had to buy one.

The only regret is that after about five years of company cars I sold my Capri as it wasn't getting used, I still miss it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Considering not replacing when it dies. They cost a fortune before they even move. Sure it'd cost far less just to hire when necessary.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
used to change every 5 years or so but our current car hardly gets driven now since Mrs ck`s stroke so i intend to keep it till its uneconomical to run/repair it , its not moved since saturday .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I buy a second hand one when the previous wreck has taken its last journey to the scrappy. You get about £100 per hundred kilos for a scrapped one. It goes towards a new wreck costing £2000 tops.

EDIT! £10 per hundred kilos, alas.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
Company cars:

Our company stopped automatically supplying them quite a few years ago when they found one of the cars, up for replacement after several years, still just had the delivery mileage.
They then realised they were paying a lot of money for a perk that was not being used by many people, as across the fleet the mileage was not even in the realm of what it should have been.
The company then got hit for a benefit tax, so all the cars went overnight!
Today we are 1,500 employees, and not one single company vehicle!

(Also tax laws then changed which made company cars only for real use sales people etc)

Jimidh

Veteran
Every 3-4 years just because I like having a nice car. Had the current car almost 4 years now and it’s replacement has been ordered and should be here in October.

I haven't driven in decades. I was still able to thrash both my 100,000+ mile a year driving friends at go-karting.

Edited to add: I also don't have a TV

Last edited:
Maybe use some of that torque to move it off the pavement so pedestrians don't have to go in the road ;-)

It's not all about MPG - the emissions from your car - being it's a VAG product - were probably illegally high before you had it tuned to give more torque than you need. It's ridiculous that VED for my petrol car, which is 'cleaner' and does about half the annual mileage, is 6x as much in VED.

Surely higher MPG = less emissions
More torque than needed? easier driving/hill-ascending

Looks like the road up Stanage above Bamford to me, have been there many times over the years, both driving and mountain biking.

Is it your picture?
It is, I believe
No, just a random 'net image, to illustrate the wheels
I've also driven on there in the past

Thought of building a Strange Rover? I considered it once, but apathy got in the way.
Do you remember the original Strange Rover, by Keith Gott
Circa 1977-1978
Old copy of Hot Car. from back them, that's still in the hoarded piles

Land Rover. Publications. Strange Rover (1).jpg Land Rover. Publications. Strange Rover (2).jpg

MarkF

Guru
I used to get a company car of my choice every 3 years, so a "new" car holds no appeal for me when it comes to forking out my own cash for one. We buy bangers and odd balls, currently we have a mint 1992 Mx5, a banger 2002 Focus, bought for £800 that has cost a £100 service/mot for 5 years of trouble free A2B and a 2006 Suzuki Swift that rarely moves.

We are looking for another Jeep 4L Wrangler.

stephec

Legendary Member
Surely higher MPG = less emissions
More torque than needed? easier driving/hill-ascending

It is, I believe
No, just a random 'net image, to illustrate the wheels
I've also driven on there in the past

Do you remember the original Strange Rover, by Keith Gott
Circa 1977-1978
Old copy of Hot Car. from back them, that's still in the hoarded piles

View attachment 474063 View attachment 474064
Is that the lovechild of a Land Rover and TR7?

lane

Veteran
When beyond economic repair one way or another so forced to. Usually buy one around 3 years old and circa 40k miles and then keep it as long as possible. Have been doing 15k miles a year due to work requirements but has reduced now thank goodness. I like the convienience of a car but don't like anything else to do with them and most certainly not buying them. Hoping my toyota will have a long lifespan currently 110k and like new.

Top Bottom