How often do you change your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I like new cars.. Usuall every 2-3 yrs, used to be nearly every yr, Though i shall wait and see what hapens before we buy the next one..

Couldn't care less about depreciation.
The kia has 4 yrs warranty left so that should be enough time for electric to catch up

otek59

Never had a car, so I’ve never had to change it

Nice. Yes, I love them, nearly always have except for the dark times. Not sure I would have been able to swap yours for an Octavia either.
It was a 'weekend car' essentially, as we also had a (truly) horrendous Ford C-Max too
The XKR wasn't too bad to insure on a limited mileage policy (circa £350 FC, I think?)
I'd even seen 30MPG from it, on a long run, to Cardiff!!

Colleague at work has just sold his 16 year old Octavia 1.9 diesel estate, 230k miles and still going well. Still on the original exhaust and clutch although he did say most of its life was spent on major roads/motorways. The guy he's sold it to (another colleage) has sent him a photo of the fuel consumption he achieved last week...72mpg, although that was driving steady.

I'd have brought it myself given half the chance.
Taken care of, they must be a bloomin good car.
Mechanical fuel pump at that age???

I've seen more;
This average MPG was 2014, according to the date
A trip down M1, to East Midlands Airport to pick SWMBO up
KN11 RPZ. Interior. 7  (6.10.14).jpg

A couple of weeks ago, we went to Birmingham
I filled up/brimmed at closest retailer to the house
It showed the hypothetical range as 545 miles

I drove to Birmingham, into Edgbaston, to where we were stopping (the Conference Centre Hotel, at the University)
By this time, it was showing about 120miles, with a little diversion en-route, yet the hypothetical mileage was now 670 miles:wacko:

On a similar vein, regarding high mileages, I'm reminded of a work-collegue has a half-share in a taxi (black & whites), with his brother
He used to have a Astra 3 estate 1.7TD (Isuzu engine?; so he told me)
Due to licencing restrictions (maybe Wakefield Council, or nationwide, I don't know), he had to sell it at 5 years old (or similar)
They'd put over 350,000miles on it!!!:eek:

On original engine & 'box (regular oil changes @ 10,000 miles)

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Tend to try and run them into ground.

Bought a 2yo BX estate in 1993 and ran it until steering rack failed MoT in 2005 - scrapped. Successor was a new 2005 Berlingo 1.9D which did 10years and around 160k before I traded it with a power steering issue that had techs sucking their teeth. Replacement was a 11 plate Roomster which is coming up to 100k. Expect it to last at least another 5 years.

Other stream was a Xantia bought new in 2000 and run until 150k miles in 2013 when it needed £2k worth of repairs - scrapped. Replacement was brand new Berlingo which is main car for long trips/caravan tugging. Expect to hang on to it a bit longer but aspiration for larger caravan would, if effected, require a replacement with greater towing weight/GTW.

KneesUp

Guru
Not very often............

I bought my Octavia estate ('11' plate, 1.6Tdi) in March 2012, when it was about 7months old @ 6,000 miles

Still got it, @ 136,000 miles
No plans to change it, except maybe for another Octavia (maybe a Scout 2.0 Tdi/6-speed)

It's had the usual 'wear & tear' items (1)
Cheap to insure, & VED is £30/year
I can get 65MPG running about locally
Re-mapped a while ago (insurance declared)

Maybe use some of that torque to move it off the pavement so pedestrians don't have to go in the road ;-)

It's not all about MPG - the emissions from your car - being it's a VAG product - were probably illegally high before you had it tuned to give more torque than you need. It's ridiculous that VED for my petrol car, which is 'cleaner' and does about half the annual mileage, is 6x as much in VED.

In answer to the OP - I aim to change them the week before they die a death - but the one before this was written off, so the current one is on it's third year with us. It's a Honda, so assuming people don't just drive into the side of this one, it will go on for a while yet.

I'm in the process of changing my car right now. It may take a couple of weeks....

View attachment 474031

View attachment 474032

Splendid stuff!

Mrs D has banned me from any more Landies. Too much time spent with the spanners and welder.
Is that simply a new chassis Skol, or are you changing some other stuff along the way?

I keep considering another, I've not had one since 2010
That said, I'm stuck between wanting;
1. A 'proper Range Rover; ideally a late 300Tdi/manual/'soft-dash'
(as early 2-doors, with vinyl seats are ascending in price, for VGC/restored)
1-(140).jpg

2. 101FC; a friend used to have one, they're fun!!
(not his)
NPO 807R.JPG

3. A nice tidy S1 86"
Series 1. Lineup.JPG

4. A L322 (Rangie 'series 3'), as a TDV8, that's to say 3.6litre diesel V8, with twin-turbos!! (sadly, all automatics)
Land Rover. Coniston Cold Experience 8.JPG normal_P1000723a.jpg

5. A Discovery 300Tdi 'Commercial'
This FB picture was taken in September 2007, & I still see this Discovery every so often, & it still looks as good as here!!

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10202829713176170&set=a.10202418728941821&type=3&theater

Rostyle' wheels suit this shape Discovery too
Land Rover. Discovery. L954 PUM. Stanage Edge.JPG

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Mrs D has banned me from any more Landies. Too much time spent with the spanners and welder.

Is that simply a new chassis Skol, or are you changing some other stuff along the way?
'Just' a new chassis. Everything else is in reasonable shape so will be quickly swapped over with the minimum of restoration.
This 'minor' refurb with a galvanised chassis should see the 1994 Land Rover good for at least another 25 years if not more.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Company car - every 3 years or 120,000 miles, whatever comes first. Don't care any more, it's just a tool for the job. I do less than 1500 miles a year personal mileage because I'm sick of the things.

tom73

Guru
Since we past our test's 18 years ish ago we've had 5 car's old N reg Micra loved that car such fun to drive which we only get rid of due to scrappage so made sense , an i10 which at the time was full of extras at a price no one could match. Well it was worth it and given extra value we had due to getting on scrappage. We traded in for a new Yaris on 3 year 0%. Then went for another new Yaris after 3 year on a straight swop. Mrs 73 was doing a lot of miles for work at all hours so something comfy, safe and reliable was called for Yaris fitted the bill. That came to end last month we handed it back with nothing to pay. It served us well many a holiday , weekend's away and day's out. Along the way we needed 2 cars so I bought a 10 plate Aygo i'm 2rd owner full service history ect , ect. it's just done 16k mileage.Only had new set of tyres and new brakes in that time.

But times change and we don't need 2 anymore so we've kept my car that's a min £200 a mouth saving. The only thing we pay is a service plan inc 3 year fix cost MOT. Cheep enough no messing about and they do a good job. The dealer is only down road so simple to drop off ect and I never get them to little things I do them or go to motorsave.

My work driving has gone right down so no need for another car. Fully loaded it got us on holiday and back on one blob on fuel gauge inc getting up Sutton bank. with out issue something the i10 was not happy to do. It will do us just right we do enough driving for work so have for a long time done day's out via train or local coach day trip.
No parking worries, free to watch the world go, stress free no nutters flashing lights and up your back end.

We get to spend quality time together on the way and have a nap on the way home. :smile: Now we have the bikes we've added train and then bike days to the mix.

Electric cars should be more on line by time we need another so in no rush to change or need to.

Top Bottom