How often do you change your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember the A35 a mate of mine had in the late sixties, if you sat in the front passenger seat and lifted the carpet you could see the road underneath, one day he put the handbrake on and it came of in his hand, it got scrapped shortly after.
I had a Triumph Herald like that. On a rainy day long journey you'd get wet feet. The handbrake never broke. Mine got scrapped when one of the wheels fell off.

tyred

Legendary Member
I remember the A35 a mate of mine had in the late sixties, if you sat in the front passenger seat and lifted the carpet you could see the road underneath, one day he put the handbrake on and it came of in his hand, it got scrapped shortly after.
I remember a school friend did a handbrake turn in his Dad's early model Peugeot 305 and ripped the rear axle mounts from the bodywork....

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A question here. I often walk past a second hand car dealer's place. He has a 2012 Fiat 500 for sale at £3995. It was that price about 8 months ago. Shouldn't he drop the price by around £500 as the car is older now, even though the mileage hasn't increased? Cars seem to be valued on their year of manufacture more than mileage,it seems.

D

Deleted member 1258

A question here. I often walk past a second hand car dealer's place. He has a 2012 Fiat 500 for sale at £3995. It was that price about 8 months ago. Shouldn't he drop the price by around £500 as the car is older now, even though the mileage hasn't increased? Cars seem to be valued on their year of manufacture more than mileage,it seems.

The question here is why can't he shift it, whats wrong with it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The question here is why can't he shift it, whats wrong with it.
The car's a nice looking one. Ok,i like it because it's bright yellow which isn't everyone's cup of tea,but it does look tidy for its age and according to the info' in the window it's only had quote 'Two careful lady owners'. I suppose he could've said it was previously owned by a vicar as well,but …..:whistle: What I put it down to is the attitude of the seller. He's one of these steroid pumped up types and dresses like one,which gives him an aggressive look. He's also a bit of a clever git. I asked for a test drive on a car two years ago. Ok,it would've been my 4th test drive on one of his cars,but he said to a friend that came with me words to the affect of " He's here again eh,pissing me about wasting my time"! I did ask him about the Fiat in question the other month,thinking he might've forgotten,but he seemed to remember me and when I asked the mileage and if the sunroof was detachable he just replied "51 thousand and no it doesn't",then he went back to eating his sandwich and looking at his phone.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Its overpriced, and there's no shortage of other 500s for buyers to look at. Its sat there tying up the owners money.
Tell me about it! My email inbox is bombarded every day with 'Car Gurus' adverts!!:stop:

profile_mask2.png

CarGurus listings <no-reply@subscription.cargurus.com> Unsubscribe
10 Jul 2019, 07:17 (1 day ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

We found 15 new listings that match your search! Listings matching your criteria have had price changes recently. CarGurus is a leading online automotive shopping destination focused on bringing transparency and efficiency to the car research and shopping experience.
derSubscription?sntEmlId=114487830&source=email&type=dealfinderSubscription&versionId=9816510919.png

Used cars Car values
icon-search-white@3x.png
Used cars
Car values
cg-logo@3x.png

You requested these alerts on 31/03/19. Unsubscribe instantly here.
New Fiat 500 listings near Great Harwood, North West England
See all
2016 Fiat 500 1.2 LOUNGE
deal-arrow--great@3x.png
Great deal
£616 BELOW
CarGurus Instant Market Value of £6,911
Price £6,295
Mileage 23,004 mi
Location Wigan
View details
2015 Fiat 500 1.2 LOUNGE (s/s)
deal-arrow--good@3x.png
Good deal
£741 BELOW
CarGurus Instant Market Value of £5,026
Price £4,285
Mileage 69,000 mi
Location Leeds
View details
2013 Fiat 500 1.2 Colour Therapy
deal-arrow--good@3x.png
Good deal
£328 BELOW
CarGurus Instant Market Value of £4,318
Price £3,990
Mileage 50,000 mi
Location Crewe
View details
2010 Fiat 500 1.2 POP
deal-arrow--good@3x.png
Good deal
£406 BELOW
CarGurus Instant Market Value of £3,196
Price £2,790
Mileage 70,000 mi
Location Crewe
View details
2012 Fiat 500 1.2 LOUNGE
deal-arrow--fair@3x.png
Fair deal
£183 BELOW
CarGurus Instant Market Value of £4,678

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
That was the best thing about an E-Class Merc Estate I had. The seat was phenomenal, that is all I miss about it. The seat in my Golf GTD is pants. I had to buy a lumbar support off Amazon.
I had a Fiat Multipla once. The really really ugly one, not the merely ugly facelift one.

I took it to the garage, having diagnosed it as needing a new clutch on the basis that I couldn't change gear and it made a godawful racket. The mechanic is a friend - I owned a Fiat and a Citroen, so we got to know each other quite well - and his diagnosis was that it wasn't worth replacing the clutch because in order to make it good, it would also need a list of other jobs doing, which in summary was a quote to rebuild the entire car around a new clutch. However, in order to break the news more gently he told me first that there was some good news. "What's that?" I asked. "The seats are really comfy!" he replied.

KneesUp

Guru
@Drago

Wooden seats??
It'd be more of an Orchestra, or Silver Band, with this
Maybe Elgar, as wasn't he from the Malverns area?
Those seats are utterly gorgeous

YES, I want one too!!! :wub::notworthy::wub:
https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/researchanddev/lifecar.html
https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk/announcement/lifecar/

'Ultra Capacitors' for acceleration, charged by regenerative hub-motors
Fuel cell for cruising
800kg weight, so not much power needed!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBTVp1WocSs

And, yes, I know it's from 10 years (or so) ago, but still highly desirable
As is the technology

The Morgan in that video still looks suspiciously like they were inspired by the Bristol Fighter - which admittedly probably has slightly worse emissions given that even in base trim it had 525bhp, rising to a possibly excessive 1,012bhp in Fighter T trim.

2004-bristol-fighter-1302820-3866809.jpg

Reactions: gbb

Denis99

Über Member
Was about every five years, but since buying our Nissan Leaf it looks more likely we will keep this car for at least 12 years.

Virtually zero running costs, servicing is no more than a simple tyres, suspension check, pretty much what an MOT covers.

£0 VED
Having solar panels and a Tesla Powerwall 2 battery means that instead of spending say £800 on petrol and £200 on servicing.
We now have our electricity for the whole house consumption plus powering the Leaf is a total of £450 per year, about 7,000 miles a year.

Can’t see any reason to change, except for another EV car in the long term future.

KneesUp

Guru
Was about every five years, but since buying our Nissan Leaf it looks more likely we will keep this car for at least 12 years.

Virtually zero running costs, servicing is no more than a simple tyres, suspension check, pretty much what an MOT covers.

£0 VED
Having solar panels and a Tesla Powerwall 2 battery means that instead of spending say £800 on petrol and £200 on servicing.
We now have our electricity for the whole house consumption plus powering the Leaf is a total of £450 per year, about 7,000 miles a year.

Can’t see any reason to change, except for another EV car in the long term future.
This sounds an ideal set up for me for those journeys where a car makes things much more simple - getting the family across town on a Sunday, when the public transport is even worse than normal for example - but one of the key reasons we have a car is so we can go on camping holidays, which involve a car crammed with stuff and a long drive, or if we take the 'other' tent, a car and a trailer full of stuff and a long drive. How do you cope with those journeys - do you just not make them, do you spend a long time at service stations, or would you just hire a 'normal' car for the duration?

The Morgan in that video still looks suspiciously like they were inspired by the Bristol Fighter - which admittedly probably has slightly worse emissions given that even in base trim it had 525bhp, rising to a possibly excessive 1,012bhp in Fighter T trim.

View attachment 474975
There is, or was, a Bristol Fighter, in the classic-car restorers/storage in the premises shared with the Oil Can Cafe
Now at Washpit Mills, south-west of Holmfirth
I'm not sure if it moved to the new premises?
The (real!) AC Cobra 289 did!!

DSCF5324.JPG P8271037.JPG

http://thecardingshed.co.uk/
http://ikclassicsandracing.co.uk/ (Fighter features in the blog; Cracking Pair Of Bristols..)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The car's a nice looking one. Ok,i like it because it's bright yellow which isn't everyone's cup of tea,but it does look tidy for its age and according to the info' in the window it's only had quote 'Two careful lady owners'. I suppose he could've said it was previously owned by a vicar as well,but …..:whistle: What I put it down to is the attitude of the seller. He's one of these steroid pumped up types and dresses like one,which gives him an aggressive look. He's also a bit of a clever git. I asked for a test drive on a car two years ago. Ok,it would've been my 4th test drive on one of his cars,but he said to a friend that came with me words to the affect of " He's here again eh,pissing me about wasting my time"! I did ask him about the Fiat in question the other month,thinking he might've forgotten,but he seemed to remember me and when I asked the mileage and if the sunroof was detachable he just replied "51 thousand and no it doesn't",then he went back to eating his sandwich and looking at his phone.
TBH Accy, I can sympathise with the dealer there...

Top Bottom